Was this done to bisqueware, or to greenware. If greenware, I believe you are stuck. If on bisqueware, soak in water for a while, scrub with a brush or kitchen cleaning pad til clean. If some is left in textures, may be a plus as it would high light them with the transparent glaze over top.

best,

Pres

It will get washed off if it wasn't bisqued on, like Pres said, some left in the recesses of the works might be nice. I'ld wash them off, let them dry out and have the students redo the decorative colour glazing. It can be hard to tell the colour of glazes by the  raw glaze colour, if you put some food colouring in your clear glaze you will be able to identify it in future by it's different colour.

Welcome to the forum :)

When you return to your students their work with decorative color washed off,  you might also bring to them an offering of "Oops Day" cupcakes.:mellow:

My teacher labeled her dipping glaze buckets with masking tape, or we would have messed up between clear and white all the time.

Better yet use a Paint pen to mark buckets and lids so that they don't get mixed up.

Labeling is really important, as you have found. If uncomfortable with using labels. . . Number the buckets, and keep a chart telling what glazes are in what numbered buckets. That way you can change glazes, and not have to remove the old name from the bucket. I use a grouping of test tiles with numbers on them to tell me what bucket is what. For a classroom I had a board on the wall where the test tiles were screwed on to.

best,

Pres

As to your question the answer is no

washing off the white will mess up the underneath designs

you could wash it Off under a sink with brush and have students redo the under glaze after drying pots then regulate the clear

or fire the white and tell them your messed up

labeling bucket and lid with black sharpie pens works very well, no tape to stick to something else and pull off, crack with time or degrade.   to change the color, just spray a little cheap hair spray onto the sharpie ink and wipe it off with a cotton ball.  works very well.   someone will recommend acetone but hair spray works better on plastic buckets, spray bottles and storage jars that are plastic.

I'd be honest with the students, and ask them if they want to wash the white glaze off completely, or perhaps just some of it, or just fire it anyway,

Depending on how opaque the glaze is it might, or might not, cover the underglazing.  Some pots may be improved, some may not, but I'd let them choose the next step.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived