Week 37

I realize that this book may be out of date with the newer technologies, but it may be a place spur further discussion with those of you who have first person experience building kilns.

1. In the 20th century there were two great debates about refractories for kilns. The first of these involved the use of hard brick vs. ______________________. The second of these involved the use of insulating firebrick vs.________________________.

1. ceramic fiber, hard brick

2. ceramic fiber, cast insulation

3. insulating firebrick, ceramic fiber

4. cast insulation, hard brick

2. Two considerations that affect the shape of the kiln are: (1) the size and shape of the ware to be fired, and (2) ___________________________.

1. available studio space

2. shelf dimensions

3. kiln pad size

4. door size

3. There are basically two types of burners: Inspirator type, which relies on the gas pressure to entrain and mix the air as it emerges from the orifice; ______________type that relieds on a blower or forced air system to entrain the gas.

1. Respirator

2. Instigator

3. Aspirator

4. Orator

4. There are two basic wall-construction systems utilizing ceramic fiber: (1) Layered or wallpaper systems, and (2) ___________________ systems.

1. Edge

2. Cast block

3. Bound

4. fiberfax

This weeks questions come from The Energy-Efficient Potter, Regis C. Brodie, c 1982, Watson Guptill Publications, NY NY

Note from Pres: There was a day when I had thought that I would be building a fuel burning kiln. As I had always been into researching a decision before jumping into it, I read several books that I bought and borrowed on kiln construction. As I live in a small town with little in the way of surrounding land, and close to what was downtown. It never happened, the dream changed. However, I still have a number of kiln building books.

Answers: These questions and answers are again directly from text.

1. 3. insulating firebrick, ceramic fiber

2. 2. shelf dimensions

3. 3. Aspirator

4. 1. Edge

• Pres pinned this topic

This week's query is way above my pay grade. It is humbling to be so devoid of kiln construction knowledge.  Can not even hazard a guess.  I am refraining from searching for terminology and am looking forward to the answers.  

On 12/8/2017 at 3:51 AM, LeeU said:

This week's query is way above my pay grade. It is humbling to be so devoid of kiln construction knowledge.  Can not even hazard a guess.  I am refraining from searching for terminology and am looking forward to the answers.  

Me too.

54 minutes ago, glazenerd said:

A big clue for question 1 is : "20th century.".. We tend to think in 2017 terms.

I specifically worded the question so as to aid the participant. Sometimes I do try to make things a bit easier.

best,

Pres

12 hours ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

You only need to have read the book 

LT

i downsized my library 16 months ago when I relocated to Montana. I used the book as a resource  decades ago but not everything was relevant to what I was doing..and some of the terms are not what I use. I did a lot of research on oil burners in German tech books in the '70s and had built 9 high fire fuel burning kilns and many more raku kilns prior to this book's publication.

1968 Soda sprung kiln in undergrad school replace with a castable arch in 1970

1969  Large catenary kiln in undergrad school

1971 Soda sprung arch  kiln  my design

1973 catenary arch kiln diesel fuel my design (my burner design published in 2nd issue of Studio Potter and reprinted in '78 in the Studio Potter Book)

1975 built 2 kilns beginning  teaching in Montana: one sprung arch and one catenary for the ceramics program my design

1978 built diesel fired sprung arch kiln at home (my burner design and kiln design including cast burner ports

1980 moved to a new build and built large 60+ cubic foot car kiln and 48 cubic foot sprung arch kiln for the ceramics program

Energy Efficient potter Book published in 1982

Marcia 

To all those who don't know Marcia. . . why read the book when you could have written the book, and many more. She is one of the most articulate, knowledgeable, energetic individuals I know. At the same time she is so gracious, and personable that you know you just want to spend hours talking to her. If you don't know her, show up at NCECA and meet her. . . .just allow some time for me to be with her also.

best,

Pres

6 hours ago, Pres said:

To all those who don't know Marcia. . . why read the book when you could have written the book, and many more. She is one of the most articulate, knowledgeable, energetic individuals I know. At the same time she is so gracious, and personable that you know you just want to spend hours talking to her. If you don't know her, show up at NCECA and meet her. . . .just allow some time for me to be with her also.

best,

Pres

very kind of you, Pres. And lets add a time for a beer in Pittsburgh. I have been attending NCECA since '71 and only missed a few since then. So many friends and so many passing on. You have to make time for as many friends as possible! Hope last weekend was good with your Dad.

Marcia

Time was good with Dad, didn't get a deer, but then it wasn't about that. Hoping to be able to do the same next year,  and some after. Brought his motor home back after repair work; he won't be going out til Spring as he has decided not to go to Florida this year.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic

Archived