Speckled Glazes

Dani

dani what cone are you looking for? ^6 or higher? or lower?

in my limited experience i have not really seen many speckled white ^6 glazes. i havent seen them in the studio, neither at ceramic shows. 

^10 i have come across quite a range of them. in all sorts of white. cool whites. warm whites. not just at studios but also people selling gas fired ware.

i agree with Neil. I really enjoy playing with speckled clay and then using slip and transparent glaze; and also two coats of white glaze. 

I use a lot of Laguna Speckled Buff (#403 I think) at cone 6.  The granular manganese gives great speckles through any glaze I have used.  I got really nice speckled white using this clay and Van Gilder's waxy white glaze recipe.  The glaze is usually clear/tan in a uncontrolled cooling, but is a nice speckled white using a controlled cool.

http://www.rabcospecks.com/shop/Glaze%20Crystals%20Store/

Specks and "crystals", I don't know anything about these but they look interesting.

I didn't see any cone/temperature guidance!  A UK supplier lists similar, but does say for low firing only (or some were - can't remember, but do know the ones I wanted would not work at ^6).

http://www.rabcospecks.com/shop/Glaze%20Crystals%20Store/

Specks and "crystals", I don't know anything about these but they look interesting.

I didn't see any cone/temperature guidance!  A UK supplier lists similar, but does say for low firing only (or some were - can't remember, but do know the ones I wanted would not work at ^6).

I contacted them about this. Waiting to hear back. So far pretty bad customer service.

I have had some good results with bisquing some brillo pads, then sprinkling the fine powder over wet glaze.  Shows up really nicely in white glaze and you can speckle heavily or lightly as it suits you.  If the glaze dries too much before I can make the particles stick, I just mist the area with water.  I suppose you could just mix the powder into the glaze and apply it that way.

• 2 years later...
On 3/13/2017 at 2:43 AM, neilestrick said:

You could try a granular manganese or iron, but they may bleed out and/or discolor the white. It would be easier to use a speckled clay body with any white glaze.

Do you mean to mix the granular manganese with the clay?

• 9 months later...

Archived