All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I like a full shelve on bottom in an electric supported at all stilt point off floor . With advancers you have two options one is kilnshelve.com the other is Bailey ceramics which are the same as advancers but usually alot cheaper. I have over 50 advancers in my gas kilns (selling 24 extra of these now on potters web) these are all 12x 24. I started testing Bailey Germany made advancers (not called that) years ago ands they are the exact same shelve only the corners are more rounded. I bought last fall 20 14x 28 from Bailey (about 7k) and have fired them in 13 glaze fires to cone 11 and as the others are super flat -thin and pay for themselves in space right away. Consider them the same as any advancer. The deal with any of these shelves is the shipping pack up charges as that can add 30% to cost. Bailey came out way cheaper on that as well.
  3. Even at $100/pound, say you put 30 grams of glaze on a mug and 3 grams of that is tin it's only 66 cent a mug in tin. I don't let it put me off using it, I like tin
  4. I just talked to Stoneleaf. Tin ox is $108/pound. Guess I will stick with Zircopax. They do have Gerstley. $224/50# I think I will get that. It will last me a long time.
  5. Ouch! I've found that most of the time prices for raw materials are less expensive in the US but my local place has tin listed at $59.10 (Canadian dollars) for 500 grams which puts it at $43 US dollars for just over a pound.
  6. So a breaking blue glaze over a white slip over an iron bearing stoneware body? Maybe with an ash type glaze on the foot and rim?
  7. Tacoma Clay Art Center carries Corelite shelves. You probably already know this but if you order anything from Seattle Pottery Supply I would strongly suggest asking for the current price, not prices shown on their website.
  8. I have found myself leaning towards recipes with Zircopax. I am calling right this moment to see what the price for Tin ox is at the supply house. I think it is $100/pound. I went through my recipes the other day. Most of my new test glazes for white have zircopax.
  9. Today
  10. I have a full shelf on the bottom, but use half shelves after that. I fire a lot of plates and platters, I have had no problems spanning the half shelves. I appreciate the flexibility with the half shelves. As well as being able to easily heft them into the kiln. I use kiln washed cookies for my porcelain.
  11. The entire pot is wonderful, but I am looking to recreate the the blue slip as a glaze instead of soda firing over colored slip.
  12. Which effect are you looking to get? Everything or rim and foot or ?
  13. I've used dried seaweed, banana peels and copper carbonate mostly so not a huge help with suggestions. Link below with more suggestions, it is behind a paywall but you can access 3 free articles a month. I copy/pasted the chart and snippet from that link below also. If you use ferric chloride wear protective gear while applying it and obviously avoid fumes from the pit firing. https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/pottery-making-illustrated/pottery-making-illustrated-article/A-Pit-Firing-Color-Palette
  14. I was leaning this way myself, looks like I’ll just go ahead and order some corelite ones! Thanks! Need to try and find some pottery supply stores here in the pacific NW that I can get all this kind of stuff from now….
  15. I bought Corelite shelves for my new kiln, I have only 16 firings on them so I can't review them yet. I was a little disappointed when I got them I thought they would be a lot lighter than my old standard shelves. I guess at my age I should be happy with a little less weight. Denice
  16. I prefer Corelite. They're about the same price and last longer.
  17. First off, major kudos to the original poster for snagging that gig! It's not easy to find a job doing what you love, especially in such a niche field like ceramics. I can only imagine the thrill of spending your days getting your hands dirty, molding clay into beautiful pieces of art.
  18. Thanks for the info! When I met with the seller she said she used to fire her ceramics in it along with a Skutt kiln she had as well. Definitely will ask her more questions!
  19. Ok, will ask the seller if I can get pictures of the inside! Thanks for the advice
  20. Thanks for the advice all. I think I am going to go with a few full and the rest half and just see how it goes and what I end up liking. Looks like advancer shelves that will fit my kiln are on backorder until august/september, so I am going to have to get something else. I was on the fence about them anyway since apparently I would still have to kiln wash since I use porcelain. So I am trying to decide between corelite or high alumina shelves... anyone have any recommendations in that area? I would not be firing to cone ten very often but I think I might be doing 7 or 8 with some frequency. Thanks again!
  21. We (several fellow potters and I) are gearing up for a second pit fire, after conducting our first last year. I'm striving to be more methodical this time, so not only paying attention to what I treat pots with pre-fire, but also trying to do more "planning" on color expectations versus just winging it. As such, looking for advice from those who have done more than one pit fire experience on colorants that have provided good results, and behave somewhat predictably. Also curious about materials used for combustion. Last time laid a bed of pine saw dust which burned well, but I think contributed to a lot of unattractive heavy, black markings on pots that were in direct contact with it. Wondering if a hardwood sawdust would be a better alternative. Welcome to any suggestions or shared experiences. Thanks!
  22. Yes, you just have to make sure they're sitting evenly. A waster slab across the joint is also helpful.
  23. The GT400 is a good wheel for most people. It'll handle the vast majority of what most potters make, especially students.
  24. Looks more like a glass kiln than a pottery kiln. Like Mark said, photos of the inside would help, as well as the dimensions of the interior.
  25. Photos of the inside would help but my guess is this a glass annealing kiln by the looks of shape and handle on lid.That means its not for ceramics. This brand I think is pretty old-call Alpha Fired Arts in Sac and ask abouit when they went out of business as well as what type og kilns they made.
  1. Load more activity
  • Recent Status Updates

• Hulk

Was catching up on foot polishing, washing, and inspection this week, then took a few new pictures.
      I like this teapot. It pours well too!

· 2 replies
    • SWalker

A woman is selling this kiln for $750 I was wondering if that would be something worth buying or if that price a bit too high? 

· 2 replies
    • pottery007

Hi all, any and all questions posted by me will be related to an ongoing research I am currently conducting on the possible applications of biophilic design in creating sound generating pottery. I came across a captivating story on ancient sounds being recorded on pottery only to realize that it was all a hoax. Anyway, it led me to exploring other ways in which we could probably include mechanisms that could create sound through clay/ceramics/pottery. I am exploring an indirect implication of biophilic or natural elements such as the imitation of the sound of wind, water, bird sounds etc. through pottery all while figuring out if there is a niche for this.
      It would be extremely great if I get responses and any help of the sort would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
      · 0 replies
    • High Bridge Pottery

There's a skip full of IFB for free. Now to work out how many I can fit in my car/garden.
      · 2 replies
    • Joseph Fireborn

dropped my bison trimming tool that I have had and used for 9 years.
      · 4 replies

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.