Sign in to follow this  
gixxer22

Duncan Es 1029N Power Problem

Hi Im new here,Im hoping to find some advice on my duncan 1029 kiln,Ive only done 2 firings since i bought it, this kiln is giving me a headace, I have some knowledge of electrics so I do know how to use a multimeter, Paragon hasnt been much help,as there wiring diagram for this is usless as it doesnt show the 2 relays or the 2 cycle control modules, What this unit does, is to turn it on I must rotate the timer on, then push in the kiln sitter button, With both infinite switches on Off, the middle element and light are now on, the middle element cannot be turned off or regulated as its now getting full power from the sitter block , straight wiring from block. To candle a load I had to manually turn kiln on and off every 5 min.  Maybe  one of you tech gurus might be able to help with this ,can i wire the middle element into one of the controls of bottom element , or maybe just drill a hole in face plate and add an ifinite switch to control it.. And why does this kiln have relays as it seems redundant as the infinite switch can control how long the elements are on??  Randy

Sounds very confusing, when I had a quick google for the wiring diagrams it seemed to have three infinite switches with a two sectioned kiln, was I looking at the right one?

No kiln would be designed to have one element that came on full power from the start. It makes sense that all three elements would have infinite controls.

Do the relays somehow turn the middle elements on and off?  Did you buy this brand new because it sounds very odd from what I am reading.

I wouldn't wire it into an existing switch as then it could overload it.

Did someone try to install a controller for this kiln? The Paragon web site doesn't show anything but infinite switches.  Did you buy the kiln from Paragon?  More information is needed for this kiln and if it was modified then Paragon isn't responsible for it. You mentioned 2 cycle control??

David 

This is a 2 section kiln, the middle element gets full 240v from sitter block nothing to regulate it, whats funny is all the electrics look stock no sign of any changes, no unused holes for mounting anything, it has 3 element sections with 4 elements to a sec. theres 2 infinite switches and 2 relays which control the top and bottom element, and 2 artisan repeat cycle timers wired to the infinite sw. there is nothing missing from inside as theres no excess mounting holes, Bought it used, duncan went out of busn, years ago and paragon bought all stock, there factory wiring diagram is incomplete, spoke to a paragon tech and she said its made with relays and cycle timers,like mine. I guess I will have to call them back this week and see if they can shed some light on it, what I can do is take some pics and put them on here.  

The timer and relay is supposed to pulse the middle section every 60 seconds.  The elements themselves are never connected directly to the power from the kiln setter.  The elements are controlled by the infinite switches or timer/relays which receive power from the kiln sitter.  You will have to check each infinite switch and the timer/relays.  If any elements are directly wired to the kiln sitter then their is a mistake in the wiring.  Hopefully you can contact someone at Paragon.

David

I tryed contacting paragon all day and no one would answer either of the # I had, Apparently the previous owner had changed some wiring and didnt tell me. Im thinking of building a pid controller for it. I would have to add a relay in for the middle elements.

I tryed contacting paragon all day and no one would answer either of the # I had, Apparently the previous owner had changed some wiring and didnt tell me. Im thinking of building a pid controller for it. I would have to add a relay in for the middle elements.

Big ice storm in Texas today-maybe they did not make it to work try another day.

Mark

I spoke to Arnold at paragon and got this figured out using the wiring dia. for a duncan da 1029n. And duncan did engineer this kiln with NO control for the middle element bank, go figure? Other than that its a very good kiln I will install a control for  the middle elements, without it the kiln fires up to fast, This duncan is over engineered and a bit complicated. Its redundant having a fixed interval timer a repeat cycle timer a control relay into the 2 power relays and 2 infinite switches controlling top and bottom banks.Thanks for the help