Duncan Es 1029N Power Problem

gixxer22

All I need do to complete this part is connect two wires to top clear plastic power relays, the bottom two wires to same, and two in the middle, although I do not understand why it was not directly connected, since it appears to just be a connecting device with no other purpose.  Steve

2 hours ago, SteveGumpl said:

All I need do to complete this part is connect two wires to top clear plastic power relays, the bottom two wires to same, and two in the middle, although I do not understand why it was not directly connected, since it appears to just be a connecting device with no other purpose.  Steve

I don’t really understand your question actually.

I have marked your picture with L1 & L2  as shown on the circuit diagram and also noticed one of your cone supports is missing. As kilns go, this is a complicated one by comparison. Before plugging this thing in I suggest you have someone qualified review everything to ensure from start to finish this is all appropriately wired . No point in burning your house down.

The kiln sitter is essential as it provides safety against over firing this kiln so without the cone rest this kiln will not fire. Please note once you arm the sitter and set its timer the center element set will become live and start heating. They are powered on all the time in this kiln by way of the sitter, be careful.

0EA1A716-20C2-42A8-8437-0AA76ED3AAF3.jpeg

Yes, I have white to ground on plug and to metal case.   Red and Black wires to two straight copper poles on plug on bottom.  I was talking about wires from the Kilm to this panel.  There are six wires coming from elements.  According to the diagram you posted, top two wires to the clear plastic looking power relay, two wires to  middle to the connect strip, and last two to the bottom clear power relay.   Nothing from elements to infinite switches or to timers on bottom.  I believe that is where they came from, but wanted to make sure before I plug it in.  My father was electrician for 40 years, passed now, but he taught me basics, so I know some things more than average, but I have limited knowledge.  I have a special needs granddaughter who I am attempting to set this up for to make blows and cups, etc., with supervision.

8 minutes ago, SteveGumpl said:

Yes, I have white to ground on plug and to metal case.   Red and Black wires to two straight copper poles on plug on bottom.  I was talking about wires from the Kilm to this panel.  There are six wires coming from elements.  According to the diagram you posted, top two wires to the clear plastic looking power relay, two wires to  middle to the connect strip, and last two to the bottom clear power relay.   Nothing from elements to infinite switches or to timers on bottom.  I believe that is where they came from, but wanted to make sure before I plug it in.  My father was electrician for 40 years, passed now, but he taught me basics, so I know some things more than average, but I have limited knowledge.  I have a special needs granddaughter who I am attempting to set this up for to make blows and cups, etc., with supervision.

Please confirm that this kiln wiring matches the diagram, then the following should be true:

• Top element set connected to terminals 4&6 on the top  power relay
  • Middle element set connected to the terminal  block as shown
  • Bottom element set connected to terminals 4&6 on the bottom power relay

Again without a cone rest, this will not operate and anyone you can get to review your work, especially someone who is qualified electrically I am explicitly suggesting prior to operating this. We want to see you post lots  of your granddaughters  work in the future.

And finally this kiln powers up those center elements once the sitter and timer are armed so never touch an element, ever. Always assume they are live and disconnect power when unloading and loading.

Okay, I will do that, have someone look over it.  Cone rest I lost yesterday, somehow. If I cannot find today I will order a set.  Saw on line for $30.00.  Thank you again, and once it is going I will be posting and put her stuff on as well.  Your help has been amazing.  Steve

7 minutes ago, SteveGumpl said:

Okay, I will do that, have someone look over it.  Cone rest I lost yesterday, somehow. If I cannot find today I will order a set.  Saw on line for $30.00.  Thank you again, and once it is going I will be posting and put her stuff on as well.  Your help has been amazing.  Steve

Should be able to get them for under 10 dollars, my local shop has them for 9: http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sps_ecat&Product_Code=36919&Category_Code=DKP

Have to replace wire between outlet and wall, definitely not #6.  How about outlet, should I replace with 50 amp outlet, there is a 30 amp breaker, after closer inspection (50 amp was range).   Or can existing outlet handle 45 amps this will pull.

One last question.  6 setting, two dials - top and bottom, when we fire (when corrections made) and we want to heat, do we gradually move one settling at a time, and at what time frames.  Should be ready to fire Monday.

You have been amazing with all you help, feeling a lot more confident in doing this now I understand how it works a little better.  Steve

Receptacle, cord end and cord rated minimum 50 amps or better. Breaker 60 amp double pole with #6 THHN (wire rated 75C (167F) or better which is what you will find at almost all the big box stores.

As to schedule there are some nuances that you will need to learn and then your experience with your use of your kiln and your wares will be the deciding factor. Others may want to weigh in here but give me a bit and I’ll try to make something generic to post. It sounds as if firing ceramics is new to you.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SteveGumpl said:

After your help, rewired properly, and fired some tests.  At cone 5 fired to 2200 degrees.  Ceramic formed, looks great.  So all appears well, thanks so much for your help.  Steve

Glad it worked, give yourself all the credit of getting it done! Now time for your grand daughter I believe to fire some ceramics.

nice job!

Archived