I used a small 2 gallon that I got from WalMart less that $100, worked great for me. And was portable, so it could be taken to the house and used for other things. Guess that's why the studio thief took it, along with the beer out of my fridge. Now I have a 5 gallon for Northern Tool, cost $180. Runs less while spraying, but not really portable. Some people use those small 1 tank pancake ones and like them. Make sure you get one with 2 dials .

I bought a set with 3 nail guns a few years back. Portable, and I have used the nail guns a lot. It is by Porter Cable. You have a trade off with size, a small one will run much more often to keep the air pressure up, wheras a larger one takes up more space yet runs less often and is not portable. Don't forget that when it runs to compress the air it is very noisy. I usually let it pressure up when I am not around it.

The compressor I have has one dial and that is for pounds of pressure. For my glazes, I work at about 35 to 45 lbs pressure. The sprayer I have comes from Harbor Freight  that cost about $20 but Lowes Home improvement or Home Depot also has sprayers if you don't have one.

If you are looking for more of an airbrush small volume application you may need to look at Hobby lobby or other craft stores

Wyndham

I think the best compressor for your needs would be a smaller belt drive portable model, such as this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-3-horsepower-Air-Compressor-PICK-UP-ONLY-/221334253683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33888cb073

Here is a new one for comparison

http://www.grainger.com/product/SPEEDAIRE-Air-Compressor-1NNF6

This type has been around a long time and companies like Sears sold millions of them, they are long lived and relatively  quiet compared to a lot of the newer direct drive ones. Shop around on Craigslist, and check a few different ones out, listen to them to understand about the noise level and type of noise different ones produce.  you should be able to find a good one for between $100. - $200.

The two gauges are, one for the pressure in the tank, how much air you have, and the second one is to tell you what your spray pressure at the regulator is set at.

And if it Is still too noisy , you can wheel it outside while you are spraying.

Josh

Rebbylicious,

My recommendation on sprayers, is  the gravity cup sprayer, pictures attached, they work very well for me, they are consistent  easy to use and adjustable. The only thing is they must be cleaned between each use, not a big deal, just has to be done. They are the kind used for automotive, cabinetry and many other uses, and the anyone who has experience in these fields can instruct you in their use, as the method of use is similar for paint and glaze.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

post-25820-0-88002000-1386697374_thumb.jpg

post-25820-0-07400600-1386697391_thumb.jpg

post-25820-0-88002000-1386697374_thumb.jpg

post-25820-0-07400600-1386697391_thumb.jpg

Archived