Is It Possible To Cut Mid-Range Fired Ceramics With A Saw Blade?

I know it sounds kind of brutal, but I'm wondering if there is a way to saw off part of a fired ceramic piece?  What has me wondering about this is a mishap at a show last weekend that left me with a broken sculpture.  I was wrapping it for a customer when it fell and a section broke off near the bottom.  If I could saw off the bottom third of the piece, I could at least keep the upper part for myself.  The piece was made from raku clay (range 06 to 8), fired at cone 2.

The cheapest tile saw is the one we paid between 30 and 40 dollars at harbor freight,  we have bought several.  I use them a lot and my husband is always lending the tile saw to someone and they tend to ruin them.  Handy to have around just don't lend them to people.   Denice

Thanks, everyone.  I have a big ol' tile saw, since I tiled my entire house and my new studio, but never thought to use it for anything else.  Duh.  I'm afraid the clearance in the jaws isn't enough for the sculpture, but I'll bet it will come in handy some other time. I have a portable grinder that I've cut tile with, but I must have used the wrong kind of wheel on it when I tried to cut an earthenware piece, because it just chipped instead of cutting it.  I'll check out Harbor Freight and see what they have for my skill saw and my grinder.

I'll check out Harbor Freight and see what they have for my skill saw and my grinder.

For the grinder you need a diamond coated blade with a continuous edge, not a toothed edge, some are for wet cutting and some are for dry cutting.

The problem with a small grinder will be the depth of cut, 115mm blade gives about a 30mm cut.

It might also be possible to do it with a hand tile saw, (or finish off a cut started with the grinder). They are similar to coping saw or fret saw but with a totally different type of blade

post-7271-0-70525800-1384879000_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-70525800-1384879000_thumb.jpg

Archived