Saggar Firing

Nice piece, I would like to see more.  30 years ago my district used an incinerator for burn garbage.  I used to stuff large tin cans with small pieces, rags and sawdust to try to get a saggar effect.  The pots were ^6 fired, then packed. We got some interesting effects, but nothing that approached what I thought acceptable.

Nice piece, I would like to see more.  30 years ago my district used an incinerator for burn garbage.  I used to stuff large tin cans with small pieces, rags and sawdust to try to get a saggar effect.  The pots were ^6 fired, then packed. We got some interesting effects, but nothing that approached what I thought acceptable.

Ha!  Typical artist/ art teacher mentality.  "Hmmm, I bet I could get some interesting effects, if put something in that giant incinerator!"

I am using thrown sag gars and fire in my raku kiln. I put sawdust , salt, and sprinkle with copper carb, or other nasty things like various salts and sulphates. I am using copper wire for the black lines. I just ordered some manganese salts (danger, danger, bad fumes) for water filters to see what that will do.This series also used Stellite alloy with cobalt , chrome, molybdenum, and tungsten. I got about 5 pounds of it a while ago. Sounded interesting for a pottery alchemist.

Marcia

I am using thrown sag gars and fire in my raku kiln. I put sawdust , salt, and sprinkle with copper carb, or other nasty things like various salts and sulphates. I am using copper wire for the black lines. I just ordered some manganese salts (danger, danger, bad fumes) for water filters to see what that will do.This series also used Stellite alloy with cobalt , chrome, molybdenum, and tungsten. I got about 5 pounds of it a while ago. Sounded interesting for a pottery alchemist.

Marcia

Oh gad... that sounds so utterly cool. Like I didn't have enough stuff to experiment with. Hopelessly mixed feelings here!!

(Thanks a ton for sharing the info).

Thanks Claypple. I am anxiously awaiting some new salts to try. Going for purple! Must make more pots. Meanwhile. I have 6 test clay bodies for an Ibvara firing. Haven't done it before but it looks amazing.

Raku but with reduction in a solution similar to wallpaper paste.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=obvara+firing+youtube&view=detail&mid=68C27BB789538C203AF568C27BB789538C203AF5&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR&qpvt=obvara+firing+youtube

Marcia

That would be "miracle grow" Benzine....

Miracle grow or Copper nitrate root killer. I bought 50 pounds of copper nitrate from an Ag supply store. It looks like Lapis, large brilliant blue crystals.

Marcia

Ah, that would be it.  I've never used it, in my own kiln, but in a college Art Ed class, one of my peers was doing a student taught lesson, involving saw dust firing in a garbage can.  The copper nitrate was one of the things we added.

Marcia

Other questions...

How much out-gassing is there with a process like this? Worse than just a regular raku session? Will I kill my nearby grape arbor?

Do you end up with residue on your kiln, and is it an issue for regular raku? (Heaven forbid that Raku be unpredictable on any level)?

Do your thrown saggers have any sort of a locking sill to make them in any way air-tight?

This is all way off the reservation for me... but I'm very intrigued.

I make thrown sag gars out of raku clay. I used to make them with galleys for a tighter seal, but I find more flexibility if I don't. I can see a little flashing where the seal was not tight.There is not much out gassing. There is a little smell but not much. Residue stays inside the sag gars for the most part.

I do this in a kiln shed 10 x 19 with large steel barn doors that I open up, across from an open door plus two exhaust fans near the high ceiling.I have not seen any residue on the fiber in my kiln.

Marcia

I find the possibilities endless.I am working on more color...green right now.Marc, how high do you go with the aluminum sag gars. My friend advises about 500 C or 950 F.

Marcia

Marcia - Greens. Awesome. I need to experiment more.

When I do aluminum saggars I go to at least 1200F and sometimes 1300F. My quest is to understand how I can get yellows consistently. I love saggar firing...you can have an idea of what it will look like, but you never ever know!

hmmm...my avatar disappeared...I'll have to reload.

Marc

Archived