Confession Of An Amateur

A few days back, I left one of my pastibats in the sun by mistake. Nice warp in the middle.

Anyhow, I was working through an 'end-of-the-day-gotta-get-one-more-thing-built' crisis. I threw the warped bat on the wheel. Half wasy through the centering process, it slipped off the pins. Bat and clay went spinning through the air like a UFO and smashed a window, nearly killing my landlord's chicken in the process.

We used to place LPs between t wo plates of glase in the sun.  The weight of the glass and the heat got the warp out.  If the bat is still around, you may want to try it.

Almost killing a chicken with a flying bat.  That sounds like an OffCenter story.

And leaving a plastibat in the sun, will cause it to warp?  I had no idea!

It was a combo of leaving the bat on a non-flat surface, and the heat. Pure carelessness.

The chicken, on the other hand... that hovered between malign fate and serendipity. (Depends on how you feel about chickens).

TJR- if you use the 'quote' button, it functions similarly to the old 'reply' function.

Well;

Benzine beat me to it on the reply. Just think, you could have had chicken for dinner!

TJR.

Hmm Vertigo was diagnosed a few year ago with crystals in the inner ear being loose. Alignment helped somewhat, exercises somewhat, but comes back with weather changes. At the same time, I am Niaspin which causes dizziness. I also have diabetes T2. Combined these have a tendency to make me walk like a drunk at times, have a spinning room, and take my bg more often and my blood pressure.  This Summer with the change from the cold to the hot seemed to have set it off again. If it continues I will be going to see the Dr.  It seems to be improving, or maybe that is hopeful thinking.

Gosh! Offcenter would love to have what you have! Imagine how he could offcenter the pots while throwing on the wheel!

P.S. Antivert should indeed be the drug of choice for this kind of vertigo. Just make sure you had MRI/MRA of the brain. Dizziness can be caused by vertebrae-basillar insufficiency, too.

Almost killing a chicken with a flying bat.  That sounds like an OffCenter story.

And leaving a plastibat in the sun, will cause it to warp?  I had no idea!

It was a combo of leaving the bat on a non-flat surface, and the heat. Pure carelessness.

The chicken, on the other hand... that hovered between malign fate and serendipity. (Depends on how you feel about chickens).

TJR- if you use the 'quote' button, it functions similarly to the old 'reply' function.

Thank-you. It works!

T.

P.S. Antivert should indeed be the drug of choice for this kind of vertigo. Just make sure you had MRI/MRA of the brain. Dizziness can be caused by vertebrae-basillar insufficiency, too.

As I really try to stay away from drugs, and the Antivert was not even suggested-I'll pass there. MRI etc was done, only thing found was a ganglion of sorts(big collection of capillaries going now where) eveidently quite common. Neck was checked last summer-herniated disc, another minor problem-tingling in lft pointer and thumb to the elbow. Diabetes I battle with low carb diet and exercise, another minor problem-no meds-in full control. I've seeen too many things I have stayed away from and been taking that later ended up not being such a good idea.

I to have noticed the quote button does not work now when I have tried to use it-just figured it part on the new system bugs-for me the old system had bugs but I knew them now its a learning curve again. I am not confused as I jsut accepeted this as part of new bugged system.Maybe some one who can will read and fix this.

Mark

My page has an empty box below the last post on the subject titled "reply to this topic"..

If you don't want to quote anyone, just type your reply there and hit the black POST button.

Only use the quote when you want to quote the selected post and I assume the multi quote when you want to repeat every single quote in the previous reply which makes the strings long and tedious.

Getting back post topic - killing pots by accident-I'd be a richer man if I had a few bucks for all the ones I have killed over my life with clay.

The ones that come to mind are whole ware boards tipping over when I lifted a pot off one end or a tray of glaze ware slipping all of to the floor or the car kiln load going over with a green load  stacked full rolling in (that one was a real mess)-heck one pot dead is mere childs play.

Mark

Getting back post topic - killing pots by accident-I'd be a richer man if I had a few bucks for all the ones I have killed over my life with clay.

The ones that come to mind are whole ware boards tipping over when I lifted a pot off one end or a tray of glaze ware slipping all of to the floor or the car kiln load going over with a green load  stacked full rolling in (that one was a real mess)-heck one pot dead is mere childs play.

Mark

I honestly can't even imagine, what that would be like.  I've had some shelves get a little off balance, and fall on project below, but that fails in comparison, to have a full load like that tip over.  Had something like that happened to me, I would just stand there and stare at it for a few moments, then grab a broom........Hmm, on second thought, I'd probably grab a beverage first.

I grabed the broom and cleaned up the mess-The broken shelves where the worst of it. The pots all can be replaced with time at the wheel.

All these disasters humble one and are all part of a full life in a ceramic carreer.

I have also lost a car kiln load to an earthquake at cone 10. It all is part of life with clay-its just dust at some point- you get to think you know when that is but sometimes its not when you think it will be. 

Mark

I was set up at an arts fest this weekend -- my first.  While I was tending to a good buyer, I kept an eye on a wicked storm rolling over the mountain -- headed straight for us.  Not 30 seconds after she walked out, a big gust hit the tent and the sidewall billowed, slapping my biggest/best piece off the shelf.  It fell, taking two others to the ground -- one of which she had just paid for...  The (expensive) lesson is, I should have excused myself and tended to the tent much earlier.   

Is there a Homer Simpson "D'OH!" emoticon? 

Mark

The fact that one pot is mere child's play reinforces my original post that I am not yet a potter. It helps hearing everyone's disasters, but in Fact mine are minor. It's going to take a long time to get close to where you are.

Archived