QotW: Have you had to reformulate any clays or glazes due to a shortage of materials?

I have a favorite glaze that uses talc, and up until lately have had quite a bit to use in glazes that I bought several years ago. However this last glaze batch found me with none left. Last year I had heard about  a shortage of talc, and believed I would have to reformulate my glaze to work with a different component, maybe dolomite. Imagine my surprise when I found Fabi Talc listed at SC. So I will be ordering some to use in my glaze. However, it makes me wonder if anyone has had to reformulate glazes or clay bodies due to a lack of materials? 

QotW: Have you had to reformulate any clays or glazes due to a shortage of materials?

best,

Pres

All the time now. Gerstley is gone and Gillespie is not a perfect match. 3134 requires a complete rewrite of the recipe. Custer is gone from the market, but I still have some. G200EU might be ok, haven’t tried it yet. Still have some old Amtal talc, but some Fabi is in my future. What’s next?

The clays I like from "nearby" vendor (about a hundred miles) have been reformulated.
The whitish stoneware seems about the same, the red behaves a bit differently.

My intent was (still is!) to look into alternatives this year; I've enough Gerstley, Custer, and Texas Talc to last a few years, however, years go quickly...

I've had to reformulate over half of our pottery glazes, both cone 6 and cone 10 to accommodate the end of Gerstley Borate, Custer, and Texas Talc. Using frits for GB, Mahavir Potash Feldspar for Custer, and dolomite/whiting for talc. Of course, all of the recipes needed changes to amounts of silica, kaolin, etc.

The tough ones seem to be the recipes that were "breaking" glazes or used some sort of lithium. Those took some tweaking and testing to get to a similar match to the old glazes.

Our local supplier has switched from Custer to G-200EU in their clay body mixes without any noticeable difference.

I have been spending a lot of time and energy replacing my Gerstley Borate glazes. The new ones are coming along, but they just don’t have the same glow and magic. I am trying to push the limits of “how much boron can I get away with?”

The good news is that switching to Fabi Talc in place of Texas Talc has been seamless. 

Edited by GEP

On 4/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, Dick White said:

All the time now. Gerstley is gone and Gillespie is not a perfect match. 3134 requires a complete rewrite of the recipe. Custer is gone from the market, but I still have some. G200EU might be ok, haven’t tried it yet. Still have some old Amtal talc, but some Fabi is in my future. What’s next?

Custar is back now Dick at least from Laguna locations