QotW: Talisman, Bucket or other type of sieve for glaze mixing?

Hi folks, we covered this a few years ago, but I was mixing glazes yesterday with my plastic bucket sieve, and a brush to run the glaze through the sieve into a spare bucket, and then back into the rinsed out original bucket.  I have often wondered about buying a Talisman sieve, but in the long run the cost scares me away, and I really get along fine with my bucket sieve. I will pick up a digital scale as the cost of them has come down.

QotW: Talisman, Bucket or other type of sieve for glaze mixing?

bestg,

Pres

I used 2 old fashion galvanized hoops with  brass screens for decades with two sticks over a bucket until I bought a Talisman. Now I have three if them hanging -bought two used from other hobbyists who sold out. I have one for white glazes and one for dark and one that just hangs. Many people buy one and find their set up cannot clean them well. The trick is a tall faucet in studio with a rubber or in my case silicone  hose as I can put a 5 gallon bucket in sing or spray out the sieve when done with it. Once you master the plumbing they work fine. in a small sink its to hard to clean them. I have been to NZ to the factory on the north Island in thge 90s and bought spare parts as well. I have about 30 years now in using them and never  looked back. Now the other day I was doing smaller than 1000 grams and used one of the tiny smaller Talisman  from Laguna clay baby sieves .These are made from PVC with stainless screen. I use an 80 mesh for all sieving as well no matter what the sieve.

The Talisman is made for large batches like 5 gallon buckets or larger. I do not consider it a hobby size deal as its to big.

Edited by Mark C.

I used to use a Talisman but switched over to using a cordless drill with a brush attachment and a regular plastic sieve that sits in the glaze bucket . WAY easier to clean up!!! Can clean the brush attachment in a small basin or pail of water or under a running tap. Takes seconds and no big sink needed. I have one sieve for clear and light coloured glazes and the other for the dark glazes.

I sold my Talisman.

To give credit where credit is due this idea is from @liambesaw

I should add I put my large shallow porcelain sink  and water setup  with high ball valve pipe and hose setup in studio from a salvage yard in 1973.  The sink is shallow but large.That was 51 years ago. Lot of water thru the screens  since then.

Edited by Mark C.

Still using "SE 13 1/4 Inch Stackable Classifier Gold Prospecting Pan" for sieving glazes.
I'd bought an 80 and 100 mesh. They fit a five-gallon bucket.
Looks like the price has almost doubled since 2018 (I'm seeing just over $30 each now).
bucketsieve.jpg.81094d847aff62df04ec707a22001046.jpg
I'm encouraging flow with my rubber gloved hand.
The sieve rinses clean easily.

For small/test batches, I'm still using this smaller unit, which I'd put together for screening glaze at the JC Ceramic Lab (when I was taking classes there) using 100 mesh stainless steel screen (I still have a few square feet of screen!), a plumbing collar, a section of black pipe that fits in the collar, and some glue.
Almost as easy to make several, so I did, and gave the extras away...
HulkSieve.jpg.b3c9dd215b02732d3886027462026542.jpg

Still using US Balance 2000g (it will go a bit over 2000g before erroring out) scale (~$26, today, about the same as six years ago).
I thought it a reasonable compromise between inexpensive and sufficient to the tasks.
The 2000 gram limit means more than one step for some glaze ingredients.

I use a talisman at work, and while it’s great for 10 gallon batches of glaze, it would be wildly impractical in my home studio. The cleanup of the brushes is a pain. 
I have a smaller sieve that sits in a 5 gallon pail at home, and I use a large round sash brush to push the glaze through. It works pretty fast and cleans up very easily. 

I have a sieve that fits a 5 gal bucket,  I bought it about 40 years ago.  A few years ago the screen started break along the edges,  so I went to the supply store and the same screen had a flimsy plastic body on it.   My  old screen has a heavy plastic body,  my husband sealed the screen in with a waterproof adhesive.   It isn't very pretty but it works  and I have a really small sieve for test glazes.    Denice