I’m in need of a water basin for my potters wheel

If it’s one of those ones from Amazon, you may be out of luck entirely. They don’t have a good reputation for replacement parts or service. 

There is, however, and old trick you can use that may save you some searching. Place a sponge against the edge of the wheel head, and it’ll absorb most of the slip that flies off the wheel as you throw. 

Oh god no!! I have to keep a clean studio! Haha nooo but it could be done in a pinch I agree! I’m stuck in this building my home studio and this problem is stopping me with all the money you need and everything in place. I would spend a pretty penny on a basin that fits well!  This wheel is very nice variable speed good petal 9.84” wheel so not too big but I’m not that skilled yet the biggest pot I’ve thrown was 12” wide and 16” tall with a nice lid im proud of it! What’s the best way to prepare a photo to be uploaded on this website? I’d love to show the feed some pictures!

10 hours ago, Sigintenough said:

I’ve bought a potters wheel it’s a haunyu LPJ-0066 model. It has no two piece water basin to keep my clay from making a mess. Does anyone on this potters forum know if replacement parts are sold or where they are sold? Thank you

Hi SIg...while my old CI wheel isn't the same as yours, I made a splash pan from the bottom of a plastic trash barrel. If you look at my album, you can see different views of the piece I made and if you can't get a replacement from the manufacturer, this is something you might try to make yourself. The blue insert is used to catch trimmings when I use my Giffen Grip and is made from the top of another plastic trash barrel. Good Luck!

I just can’t see my self no offense but half rigging it I want a nice basin that I can fetch water from when I throw something that helps keep my studio clean and organized I need something that holds water. However I did email the persons email that came on the owners manual and he didn’t even have his own domain for the email. He responded within eight hours and wants to know if it was the factories fault, it is not. My father bought the wheel without the basin. So I am currently in contact with this person trying to get him to provide the replacement I told him I’d pay for it I don’t want it free. So that’s where my studio is clay on the shelf wedged and no throwing going on

:/

5 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Hi SIg...while my old CI wheel isn't the same as yours, I made a splash pan from the bottom of a plastic trash barrel. If you look at my album, you can see different views of the piece I made and if you can't get a replacement from the manufacturer, this is something you might try to make yourself. The blue insert is used to catch trimmings when I use my Giffen Grip and is made from the top of another plastic trash barrel. Good Luck!

I truly appreciate the sharing you are the reason this community is so robust and helpful. Do you think you could water proof a makeshift basin? I doubt it but some people just understand how to be crafty I think it’s higher iq I hold that same sentiment to your fix it works can’t knock you please keep this thread going!

23 hours ago, Sigintenough said:

I just can’t see my self no offense but half rigging it I want a nice basin that I can fetch water from when I throw something that helps keep my studio clean and organized I need something that holds water.

I understand where you're coming from, and my solution won't work for you, but just about all your 2 piece basins are designed to catch thrown-off slip, not "hold water". You would use a separate bucket for that. 

Are you anywhere near a ceramic supplier or pottery studio that has Brent wheels? If so, you might check there to see if the Brent splash pan fits your wheel...

I have a Brent with a large splash pan,  I still get curls of clay on the floor when I trim.  I hung vinyl wallpaper around my wheel because I will splatter clay when throwing.   I actually love seeing the curls,  it means that I am  still able to work in my studio at the age of 71.   To me a part of being a potter is having a mess to clean up.   Today I am cleaning the studio so I can mix up glazes for testing and making a new mess.   Embrace the mess.     Denice

Thank you for sharing Denice! During my apprenticeship or pottery classes cleanliness was always vital to the studio environment. I can just prepare, think well, and execute in a more methodical way when everything is tidy. For that reason I cannot take the advice of hanging newspapers or vinyl to solve the problem. By now though I just wish I could so I can just start producing creating and having a routine back of pottery. Unfortunately I share my household with a number of roommates and my studio is very small and makeshift but always has to be clean or I will get yelled at.

8 hours ago, Sigintenough said:

Thank you for sharing Denice! During my apprenticeship or pottery classes cleanliness was always vital to the studio environment. I can just prepare, think well, and execute in a more methodical way when everything is tidy. For that reason I cannot take the advice of hanging newspapers or vinyl to solve the problem. By now though I just wish I could so I can just start producing creating and having a routine back of pottery. Unfortunately I share my household with a number of roommates and my studio is very small and makeshift but always has to be clean or I will get yelled at.

Actually the vinyl is for protecting your paint and cleans up easily,  certain clays can stain your paint.  If you are renting you would have to repaint.   My first studio was a small folding top and chair,  bowl for water and a few tools.  I made mostly pinch and coil pots not enough room for slabs.  I eventually bought a used small kiln,  the garage area  was  so small I could barely fit it in.   My husband used the garage to repair cars,  the desk top and chair had to fold up so he could walk around the car.  Every potter I know has had a crummy first studio,  the studio situation in college isn't great.   A lot of yelling going on you just have to ignore it.   Denice