Mixing Pre-Made Dry Glazes

Vik

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of learning how to glaze while working in a pottery studio, and I've received some great advice from this forum in the past. I really appreciate everyone's insights and kindness! I have a question regarding our studio's glaze mixing process. We use pre-packaged 10lbs bags of dry glaze, mixed with a 1:1 ratio of water and glaze.

Currently, my process involves using two buckets: one with 10lbs of water, into which I pour the dry glaze (while wearing proper PPE equipment). I then mix it, sift it through a fine mesh sieve into a new bucket, mix it again, sift it again, mix it once more, and finally sift it into the original bucket of low glaze before mixing again.

I'm wondering if it's possible to streamline this process by adding the 10lbs of water directly into the original bucket of low glaze and starting the mixing and sifting process from there.

I hope this explanation makes sense, and I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on this matter!

5 hours ago, Vik said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to streamline this process by adding the 10lbs of water directly into the original bucket of low glaze and starting the mixing and sifting process from there.

Yes. 

Most glazes are just fine with running through an 80 mesh screen once, some run it through twice. I hold a bit of the water back to rinse the sieve out at the end of sieving to try and get as much out of it as possible. 

While I add dry ingredients directly to my old batch at my personal studio all the time with no ill effects, if you’re in a teaching studio, you might want to mix the new batch separate and test it to verify everything went as expected before adding it to the old batch. And depending on how well the studio members/students are mixing the batches, you might want to let it run out as far as possible before adding new. If incomplete mixing is a habit, it can mess with the glaze.