microtips

Tiny tips one may have never seen, read, or heard 'bout before.

Flexible metal rib, ideal (almost) for moving insects on the surface of water/glaze/liquid to outside the Studio.
Tiny spiders, gnats, et cetera land on the surface tension - timely removal can prevent a tiny insectoid blob (and the bug can live on!). The rib's edge, just on the surface, allows the bug to change footing without wetting, nor harming them. Step outside, blow the bug gently off the rib, onto a rock, plant, or somewhat. Note the tiny antennae nod of thanks.

Using actual real chamois leather chamois*?
Is it floppy - stretched out - slimy and soft? When next you pour hot water into your throwing bucket, note that your chamois, when exposed to hot water, will shrink and "tighten up" considerably! ...maybe too tight? Don't worry, it will loosen up after while...

It's not rainy today!

*We have an actual leather chamois that was a gift promotion from an auto parts store, decades ago.
I've been trimming strips off of it for pottery use over the last six+ years...

Posted (edited)

Here I'm using side light whilst touching up right after glaze (dipping, upside down).
Light from the side casts shadow in the/any tiny holes*!

sidelighti.jpg.e73ed0279d1b796d8f5ed826bdacdfc2.jpg

There's a spot to touch up, center (almost) in the image above.
I've an old desk lamp set in the roll around stand, that's the lamp's metal shade on the left.

sidelightii.jpg.58e7e58739fdfe03bbf346f354201ad7.jpg

There's another spot, same mug.
These little holes might just close up during firing, ooorrr maybe not.
Easy enough to put a drop of glaze on the spot with a small brush, then, when the drop is still wet but the edges of it have lost sheen, smooth with a damp finger, but check later to ensure the hole hasn't persisted!

Recent thread(s) about tiny holes, I'd forgotten about application issues, like this, where a bubble forms during glazing.
In my quests against glaze defects, inspecting the damp glaze, and rechecking once thoroughly dry seems to help!

*I'd learned to drag a droplight around with me while looking for defects when I worked as a house painter; the side light really helps.
At this point, I'm working with "sunglasses" on all the time, early cataracts. ...also, I don't wear the latest prescription in the Studio.

Edited by Hulk
when for while

When pulling mugs or cups or any cylindrical piece off of the hump make a pancake larger than the defined bottom of the piece then draw up the sides to form the walls of the pot. This keeps the alignment of clay particles even as opposed to pulling the walls up as in a normal piece thrown off of the wheel head or bat. The difference is that you are unable to compress the floor of the pot sufficiently off the hump leading to unaligned particles where the wall meets the floor,

best,

Pres