Brush making

I want to make some of my own brushes.

I hear bamboo is good to use for a barrel. I know that you can use pvc but I want to make some brushes with bamboo handles. Does anyone know where I can buy some bamboo sticks to use as my bamboo barrel. Also what kinds of hair would you use? for glazing, slip decoration, underglaze work, etc.

Thanks

You might get lucky finding someone with bamboo growing in their yard who will give you some - keep your eye out for bamboo!

Bamboo sticks are sold for staking plants, try searching "bamboo sticks" or "bovitro bamboo sticks" - Amazon carries them.

As for selecting hair, see https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/40726-qotw-have-you-ever-experimented-with-making-you-own-brushes for some ideas.
This Blick page has a paragraph at the bottom on "Ceramic and Glazing Brushes" Ceramic and Glazing Brushes | BLICK Art Materials (dickblick.com)

Keep an eye out for brush hair sources! Carry your scissors, tape, and plastic bags with you.
:|

I use "chip" brushes more than anything else in my Studio; they are also called "throw-away" brushes. I get them in several sizes, and trim the bristles as necessary.
...I don't do much brushing, however.

Please do report back on your progress?

On 2/7/2024 at 9:50 AM, Hulk said:

Keep an eye out for brush hair sources! Carry your scissors, tape, and plastic bags with you.

Have never tried it, but remember reading somewhere in this forum that skunk hair works quite well.  Don't recall who posted it, but they mentioned keeping a bag and gloves in their car, so they could collect such hair from road-kill when the opportunity arose.  

10 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

Have never tried it, but remember reading somewhere in this forum that skunk hair works quite well.  Don't recall who posted it, but they mentioned keeping a bag and gloves in their car, so they could collect such hair from road-kill when the opportunity arose.  

Mark C in this thread?

Edited by PeterH