QotW: What is your preferred method of storing work in progress?

Hi folks, I am getting ready to get back to work in the shop and I was thinking of things I need to get ready for the work I will be doing. I have decided to do some more teapots, and chalices myself and for orders. Much of what I do is in batches, where I may throw 15 stems for chalices, and then throw 15-16 bowls. Teapots, I usually throw 6 bodies, and then the lids, and spouts.  This requires storage for the pieces until the bodies are trimmed. Same happens with the chalices. My best way of storing large amounts of pieces is to have a rubbermaid type container with a damp sponge across the bottom and a board over the the sponge. The stems are usually stored in a round container with a plate over top of the damp sponge. I know that several of you have talked about plaster in the same type of containers, but these work for me. Larger slab/wheel constructions I store under a plastic bag.

QotW: What is your preferred method of storage for work in Progress?

Usually I work things pretty close together, so I don’t need a lot of “long term” (more than a week) storage these days.  Mostly I use a double layer of plastic to cover things, but I did get a large under-bed plastic tote for handles that I use in a similar manner to what you describe @Pres. I have to ask though: why the board or plate over the sponge? I’m picturing a small throwing sponge or similar, as that’s what I use. 

Container inverted over each ware.

I have two quart size plastic planters (with the drain holes taped over), 2.5 quart containers (a big wider), one and two gallon buckets, five gallon buckets, one large canning pot.

Almost all my work is wheel thrown, on bats. To slow drying, I'll pop a container over the ware.
Ware on impervious bats can stay on, or be wired off when stiff enough; ware on absorbent bats have to be removed before they get too dry...

The wares can be kept moist indefinitely, given periodic misting with a spray bottle, even in the height of summer.
...however, probably better to get to them afore the molds take over...

Trade-offs, eh?
Keeping a crowd of ware together, no doubt simpler, more space effective.
To each their own container can be "brought along" individually.
It's what I'm used to.

For clay balls waiting their turn on the wheel, I'm using a plastic tote with two bits of damp sponge in there. Periodically, I'll refresh the sponges and use the spray bottle to mist the underside of the lid.

I'm not over loathing plastic sheeting for protecting in progress clay work.
Hulk no like!

The damp sponge would soften too much of the bottom of the pieces. The board separates the wetness, but keeps the atmosphere damp enough for storage. I usually take the pieces out earlier than I trim/assemble so they can stiffen a bit.

best,

Pres

We have an old crappy cupboard, edges sealed with vinyl tape, and doors sealed with a rubbery gasket. It maintains humidity well. A pan full of water in the bottom clinches the deal. Saves some time fussing with plastic. When that’s full, its plastic drapery and inverted storage containers…everywhere. 

Years ago when I produced much more than now, I used an old refrigerator outside as a wet cabinet. Had to have a lock on it in order to use it that way it worked. The freezer compartment was especially nice for longer term small pieces.

best,

Pres

I tend to want to finish work than dry slowly. I use plastic sheets from laundry bags (for delicate work) to thicker plastic from my banana boxes which has some holes in it.

So say handles throw dry on plaster and handle same day cover that night and then dry fast 

If its slab built fish than its cover  with plastic sheets and keep in cooler place either down a few levels  in shop or is shade outside in summer-depending on the season .

I have not had a wet box since collage-(thats 48 years ago) I'm way more into drying faster than slowing the work down.Its a production potter thing .Now some work like teapost need to slow and again it wrap in plastic and keep on lower level in shop. I may be done making teapots come to think about it.

The answer is "it depends".  On what you might ask?  The weather. 

This time of year, things dry slowly - often too slowly, so they get covered with dry cloth to help absorb some moisture.  When it's hot or even just sunny, the greenhouse can warm up quickly, even in winter.  Either way, they come indoors and sit on a shelf over the bath - bathroom is not used and is north-facing.

It's a balancing/juggling act.  Don't let things dry too quickly, or so slowly I can't refine them, and miss the next kiln firing at the community centre.