Tungsten Trimming Tools

Recent post discussing tungsten trimming tool got me thinking of the cost of these as I'm finally ready to break down and buy one. I did some research and found there are a few suppliers who sell blanks in the shape of trimming tool heads commonly seen for sale by a few ceramic suppliers / artists. (link below)  I read up on how to sharpen tungsten carbide and either a diamond wheel or  a green silicon carbide grinding wheel can be used, along with diamond files for fine sharpening. (we have a green silicon carbide grinding wheel) Most places that sell the blanks are wholesale orders only but there are places that sell samples of one piece. One supplier below who sells sample blank pieces for $25- US each. I can see how to get the outside bevel ground down using a diamond or silicon carbide grinding wheel but not the inside bevel, maybe a diamond bit on a Dremel for the inside angle? 

Anybody resharpen their own tungsten tools? Does that work well?

I know I can just go out and buy one (for a lot more money) but ....

Anybody done this? Thoughts?

https://ostoncarbide.en.made-in-china.com/product/SxoUhujFAVWA/China-Hard-Metal-Ceramic-Clay-Trimmer-Tungsten-Carbide-Pottery-Scraper.html

ScreenShot2024-01-02at9_11_19AM.png.a0173e819b4e238630194902644aa8be.png

As a tungsten carbide user for deacdes now I'll give this a try.

Yes the green wheel will do the outside and a diamand  Dremel  could do the inside.

That said I never have never sharpened one as I only use the smaller size (like a R-2 Kemper )I like a squre end and a smaller rounder end on same tool for trimming

I wear them out over time and there is no reason to sharpen team as they hold the edge until worn out. Sharping one just wears them out sooner

I have used a few kinds Bison custom ($$$)  as well as the XEIM which dropped they line (they had replaceable tips)

I know there are those who sharpen their own tungsten tools, I have just been concerned about breaking it.  I really do love my Bison tool.  Not only is it a good trimmer but it fits my hand so nicely.  I have a number of woodworkers in my family, I could probably get someone to make a handle for the trimmer part from China.   I will let you know if I go this route.

r.

It's the grinding down of the blank going around the curves that I'm wondering about. I think it would be a lot more accurate if I had a jig I could clamp the blank to before grinding it, would help with angle too. There are also ones on aliexpress but I wonder about the quality of those. Hsin-Chuen Lin sells some also, they are all pretty close or the same shape. Makes me question if they are all getting the blanks then sharpening and finishing them. 

3 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

I know there are those who sharpen their own tungsten tools, I have just been concerned about breaking it.  I really do love my Bison tool.  Not only is it a good trimmer but it fits my hand so nicely.  I have a number of woodworkers in my family, I could probably get someone to make a handle for the trimmer part from China.   I will let you know if I go this route.

r.

Why not try making ceramic handles? I think it might be easier than making wood handles...

Weighting that ceramic handle might encourage the tool to land handle down, then the handle shatters, absorbing enough energy that the precious tool bit survives (vs. bounce, bounce, break!)? I like it.

See also search results for "wood tool handle" or "file handle" or "wooden tool handle" ...

I like the "hook" shape, it's closer to what I use

hookendtungstencarbideblank.jpg.68aa1758da10a08f81cc5ec87259ff0d.jpg

So I had decided to buy a sample blank and try grinding the cutting edge so I contacted the supplier I linked above and it turns out shipping is $25-. I don't think it's worth $50- USD for an experiment so I cancelled the order. 

I did go ahead and order the one below from Aliexpress. (4 styles available) Given there are not a lot of suppliers and the styles are the same or very similar I thought it was worth a try. I'll do a follow up here once it arrives and I have a chance to try it out. (no affiliation with either company)

ScreenShot2024-01-03at9_06_28AM.png.d38880f836c3b80e7a3ab364629c8733.png

19 hours ago, Min said:

It's the grinding down of the blank going around the curves that I'm wondering about. I think it would be a lot more accurate if I had a jig I could clamp the blank to before grinding it, would help with angle too. There are also ones on aliexpress but I wonder about the quality of those. Hsin-Chuen Lin sells some also, they are all pretty close or the same shape. Makes me question if they are all getting the blanks then sharpening and finishing them. 

I actually thought about that also.  And if you buy in bulk, it might not  be so much for shipping.  Who knows.  

On 1/3/2024 at 9:20 AM, Min said:

So I had decided to buy a sample blank and try grinding the cutting edge so I contacted the supplier I linked above and it turns out shipping is $25-. I don't think it's worth $50- USD for an experiment so I cancelled the order. 

I did go ahead and order the one below from Aliexpress. (4 styles available) Given there are not a lot of suppliers and the styles are the same or very similar I thought it was worth a try. I'll do a follow up here once it arrives and I have a chance to try it out. (no affiliation with either company)

ScreenShot2024-01-03at9_06_28AM.png.d38880f836c3b80e7a3ab364629c8733.png

I noticed, @Min, that the tool you ordered is made of tungsten steel where the Bison tools are tungsten carbide. So I thought I'd do a little research and I found some interesting info here: Tungsten Steel vs Tungsten Carbide | Be-cu.com. It may or not influence your choice.

• 3 weeks later...

A green silicon carbide or diamond dust full size wheel for your bench grinder or angle grinder might not be necessary, given you've a Dremel type tool.
A collection of diamond Dremel bits is fairly reasonable at Harbor Freight (see also Princess Auto). I have a set, they're working well, however, I haven't challenged their durability much (yet). I don't know how much heat is ok for tungsten carbide*.

Looked like none of the discount tungsten trimming tools (I'd found when looking, previously) are sharpened.
Many are tungsten steel**, as JohnnyK points out.

Added: with a Dremel type tool, low speed and coolant are options. Tungsten carbide likely can take some heat; the inserts we used in machine cutting tools got very hot - we did use spray misters though.

*Grinding can push the edge to red hot very quickly 
**aka "tool steel" and "high speed steel" - which is fairly tough, and a file may or may not "touch," depending on how hardened

Edited by Hulk
no Harbour Freight in Canada, see Princess Auto; cool the grind

52 minutes ago, Min said:

Thanks Tom and Bill, I do have diamond Dremel bits and diamond pads plus the green silicon carbide grinding wheel so I'm sure one way or the other I can get it sharpened.

You are welcome! The hand filing was a thought to solve the overheating potential of using powered stuff