QotW: Do you have a fire extinguisher or a GFCI protector in your shop?

I was looking around in the shop the other day, and noticed that the GFCI on my outlets was popped. Checked around and could not find the cause, but the circuit was working fine. Made me wonder how many folks have GFCI's, and then I wondered how many of you have fire extinguishers in your shop areas? I have both.  Got the fire extinguisher after a little grinding fire while sharpening some trimming tools. Easy to put out, just an oily rag, but a ceramic canister with lid was nearby. However, could have been worse so in came a fire extinguisher.

QotW: Do you have a fire extinguisher or a GFCI protector in your shop areas?

best,

Pres 

Yep, personally any receptacle located near water, any operating wheel. Fire extinguishers - yes, checked and renewed yearly, for personal use, quite a few life safety additions as well. Good question! My experience if a gfi tripped there was a reason for the leakage I need to figure out.

Commercial
Two fairly large studios I have friendly access to - all have a bit more required commercial health and safety items: GFI’s as described above, both have fire extinguishers located throughout. Many I helped the owner install including code required: extinguishers, tempered hot water to 120 degrees, battery backup exit signage,  emergency lights, night lighting, real ventilation for spraying, real extraction for glaze composition, real designed combustion air and ventilation for occupancy ….. quite a few requirements they benefit from whereas at home one is sort of free to pick and choose. GFI and fire extinguisher probably the minimum though.

GFCI protectors often do not work well with motors. The motor tricks the GFCI into thinking there is a ground fault and the GFCI trips. A common situation is when people have a refrigerator on a GFCI in their garage and the motor in the refrigerator sometimes trips the GFCI. Some motors work fine for a long time on a GFCI. I have a full-sized refrigerator on a GFCI that works no problem, but a mini-frig I have routinely trips a GFCI. So, yes, try using your wheel on a GFCI but be prepared to move it to a non GFCI outlet if you get too many nuisance trips. 

Another good safety thing for a studio is a WiFi smoke/fire/CO detector like the Nest that sends alarms to your phone. I use them in the studio and throughout the house. 

I will add that you might be able to reduce nuisance trips from using a wheel on a GFCI by getting a GFCI that is designed to "limit" the nuisance tripping often caused by motors.  Here is one model, but it seems to be hard to find.  Note that the manufacture says it will limit nuisance trips, but they don't go so far as to say it will eliminate nuisance trips.   https://www.legrand.us/wiring-devices/radiant-collection/radiant-tamper-resistant-20a-simplex-self-test-gfci-receptacles-with-safelock-protection-white/p/2097trsglw

Edited by davidh4976

I have a GFCI outlet in my studio and a fire extinguisher next door in my husbands garage.   He restores cars and always has one handy,  we have a CO detector in the basement and a smoke and fire system wired into the house.   The smoke alarm is so loud it can be heard a block away.  Denice

8 minutes ago, davidh4976 said:

will add that you might be able to reduce nuisance trips from using a wheel on a GFCI by getting a GFCI that is designed to "limit" the nuisance tripping often caused by motors. 

I can add, 20 amp generally better than 15 amp rated. If they trip though (not from self test)  there is almost always leakage beyond allowed so is it a nuisance or is it just telling you there is leakage?  Generally the device being powered has a small amount of leakage to ground. All the more reason to make sure the shell of the device is well grounded, GFI or not.

22 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

I can add, 20 amp generally better than 15 amp rated. If they trip though (not from self test)  there is almost always leakage beyond allowed so is it a nuisance or is it just telling you there is leakage?  Generally the device being powered has a small amount of leakage to ground. All the more reason to make sure the shell of the device is well grounded, GFI or not.

With motors, there is a thing called high frequency harmonics that can fool the GFCI. Not necessarily dangerous leakage. BUT, GFCI tripping on a motor could also be caused by current leakage.  It's a bit of a challenge to be absolutely sure of the cause.  Newer GFCIs in general, and GFCIs specifically made to address the issue with motors, can reduce nuisance tripping. If you are having GFCI tripping issues, the first step could be to replace the GFCI with a new one.  If still a problem, find one of the GFCIs specifically made to limit the problem with motors. 

And, you are correct about ensuring that the ground is working well. One part of testing this is to use a multimeter to ensure that the wheel's shell has connectivity to the ground prong on the power cord. One should also use an outlet tester to ensure that the outlet has a proper ground. An outlet tester like this one is good and many electricians swear by Fluke brand equipment. https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-ST120-Socket-Tester-Audible/dp/B0B3VCZ4XK/

Edited by davidh4976

5 hours ago, Mark C. said:

All my outlets in outer kiln area are all GFI  (overhead lights as well in outer area) and I have a few fire extinguishers  around-one in shop one near kilns.

Of course I'm not an institution or a art center , just a production potter slowing down a bit. Safety is 1st always is a good rule to live by

Garage (where one of three bays* is the "Studio") outlets protected by GFCI, per code.
There are several extinguishers out there, however, they aren't mounted, thanks for the reminder!
It's easy enough to forget where they are; so, in plain sight and the "same place they have always been" could help.

There wasn't a smoke detector out there, nor was there one within twenty feet of the kitchen's ovens and range.
There are now.

Combo unit - smoke detector and CO detector - are available these days.
I didn't know (or forgot) CO is slightly "lighter" than air. Apparently is does mix well, so CO detector near the floor maybe not so bad; any road, the water heater is out there, also various flammables, a car and truck, so.

Before switching the wheel on, one may already be in the habit of checking the foot pedal position (particularly if one has already vroomed a mess, heh).
Consider also, tuck hair, jewelry, clothing - any and all anywhere near the wheel head - securely away.

Double check the torch is off and put away securely, each time.
Check ground on all the circuits.
Keep your feet dry.

Look both ways afore stepping off the curb! ...look again ...and again...

*Looking to make time to get the wall up this Winter!

Now you tell me about the jewelry,  I always wondered how my class ring ended us melted down the side of my pot.   My second grade teacher warned us about those curbs, she said we would get killed if we didn't look again and again.  I also have a winter project that involves a wall,  our puppy pulled off the wallpaper in his area,  fortunately I have enough extra paper to fix it.  Cleaning the studio today, I'd better get to work.    Denice