Jiffler vs Jiffy Mixer vs Turbomixer

Pyewackette

I'm looking at glaze mixers and apparently I have THREE choices.  The Jiffler looks niftiest but I wonder if those exposed blades could cut into bucket sides.  Also the thing about low speed is concerning as I don't believe I have a drill any more that you can set for high or low speed, you just have to have a light trigger finger. Sometimes mine sort of spasms and revs the drill up for a few seconds. And I have no idea how effective the Turbomixer might be or if it could damage bucket sides as well.

Anybody have experience or opinions on these?

BTW I've been off gardening, and yes, I just harvested almost the last of the garden day before yesterday.  I have BUSHELS - BUSHELS I say.  The peas are still on though.  My son saw my haul and opined that I should plant LESS next year. Pshaw!  I didn't even make it to the maters and peppers before full dark and too cold to pick in the cold cold rain.

Edited by Pyewackette

Hi Py, Good-oh on the garden, wish I was closer to Nowhere, to trade somewhat for a few bushels...

I'm using:

i) a kitchen whisk to stir up the glaze between dips/pours

ii) a smaller, wooden handled kitchen whisk, which I've fitted with a pin that chucks into the drill motor, for powered whisking!

iii) a long straight scraper that has a square end, for scraping down the sides and that bottom corner of glaze buckets

If it's been more than a few weeks, I'll mix, then screen (80 or 100 mesh) the glaze, then get to work.

My newish cordless drill has two speed ranges, and a smooth ramp on the trigger, hence I "hardly ever" make a splattery mess. Hardly. Ever!
If ever in the market for a drill motor, check the heft, feel, and, And, the trigger action under power...

The hand driven whisk is plenty enough to mix in that watery bit right at the surface, which makes a significant difference in the thickness and movement of the glaze layer...

Edited by Hulk
the three candidates are in the Title!

Throwing out another alternative, the Hyde Stir Whip. I had problems with my Jiffy mixer scraping plastic from the sides of the buckets over time so I started using a Stir Whip. I've  it for about 9 months, so far so good. I use an electric drill, haven't had splashing problems. It takes a few seconds longer to get the mass of glaze moving but once it is moving it mixes really well. 

@MinI had seen you mention that in an older thread but you hadn't named it.  I was thinking I'd have to do a Google image search LOL!

I'm finding so many different items for stirring stuff, including a cheaper look-alike for the Jiffler on Home Depot.  I'll list them all here but I'm looking to get that Hyde Stir Whip as it looks like the safest bet LOL!

Allway Helix Paint Mixer 5 gal $9

HYDE 43430 5 Gallon Drill Attachment Paint Mixer $13.43

"Generic" Paint Mixer Very different look to this one $15.39

5 gal "Squirrel" mixer $12.14 The name alone warrants a look

Jiffler type mixer #1 5gal $27.88

Jiffler type mixer #2 1 gal $9.31

Jiffler type mixer #2 5 gal $26.00

All the types available at Sheffield

There's way more out there than I thought!

have used many types and brands of mixer over my 50 year career. 

these are not jiffley which have no side or bottom protection

https://www.jiffymixer.com/

Make the best as far as I know

I never have them eat the sides or bottoms.I use three sizes two small ones in cordless drill (these smaller ones last about 20 years) and are great for smaller containers

And the larger 5 gallon size with a 1/2 shaft diameter for my 1/2 electic drill-I use this every two weeks. 

I mix so much glaze  that I wear the larger size  out-I use  one and keep in stock as spare . 5 gallon bucket size is perfect for me and the whole thing is  about 2 feet long plus the drill from harbor frieght. I am on about #6 of the large size as I wear the bottom stainless out and it then become sharp and can wear a bucket . A hobbist will never wear one out as they are made to last the large size is just over $50 if i recall. Been  since I bought one as I have a spare . Yes these cost more but last longer work better and sometimes you get what you pay for.

I would measure mine exactly but I'm in Bali diving for 5 weeks -back home on the 8th