Body color question: om4 and talc containing body

Retxy

Hi everyone!

I have found a clay body that I like that I'm mixing myself but that is listed as a white firing body but is actually coming up rather creamy in color. I have learned that the om4 in the recipe can make it fire that way (thanks to digital fire) but to precipitate out the impurities barium carbonate is suggested and im not a fan. Any thoughts on how I can get it to burn pure white? I've got some glazes that are dulled by the creamy color but look so good on whiter bodies and I'm really enjoying the other properties of the body. Mason stains are too expensive so white body stain is not an option. I also considered a different ball clay, but Tennessee 10 for example was too refractory and I think I will lose the vitrificationof the body with a more refractory ball clay. Is there another ball clay that could work?

Recipe is om4, neph sye, talc, and 3269.

Thanks in advance,

Ret

@glazenerd @High Bridge Pottery @Min @Babs

thank you all so so much for the help!!! its got 15 of talc in in it, the majority is om4. Do any of you recommend any resources (already know about digital fire) that can help with tinkering with clay body formation? I understand some of the ballet of these materials in glazes, but absolutely none of the waltz that is clay body formation. I would love to take the Katz class on this, but am p*ss poor. The recipe I'm using is from an old chappelle book, so I'm not sure about posting it here because I don't want the copyright gods to smite me... but it is a throwing body and im firing it to cone 04 and its vitreous! l

I really want to mix my own clay as I live in the middle of nowhere and shipping it out here is often more expensive than the clay itself. I appreciate you all and your kind help!

Yes, I would. Chem is different between the two, OM4 has about double the KNaO and since you have a vitrified body and the ball clay makes up a significant part of the recipe it probably does make a difference. Other thing is how the clay actually feels, if it gets too sticky sub part of it with a white firing kaolin. It will help the pots dry faster too.

On 9/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, Min said:

Yes, I would. Chem is different between the two, OM4 has about double the KNaO and since you have a vitrified body and the ball clay makes up a significant part of the recipe it probably does make a difference. Other thing is how the clay actually feels, if it gets too sticky sub part of it with a white firing kaolin. It will help the pots dry faster too.

Min I will and thank you for this awesome advice. I'm super pumped, feel like knowing you can play with clay body chemistry in glazy is going to make a difference. Can't wait to see what kind of explosions I cause bwahahaha

Glaze calc software is for glazes although some functions of it, like oxide amounts can be useful. What is still important is to know the qualities of the materials. Talc for example is good at bringing absorption down if just a few percent are used at midrange but when used at high amounts  it acts as a filler. Also, COE figures are useless as clay is not a glassy matrix.

• 3 weeks later...