Ideas needed for an anniversary gift (ideas, execution and glazing)

Hello everybody! 

Firstly, I am not sure if I chose the correct category and way to publish this post. If not, I apologize for the inconvenience and I would be happy to learn more about the correct way.

My question pertains to an anniversary gift I want to make for my partner. I have made some progress with throwing on the wheel and can now comfortably throw around 5 kgs (11 lbs) and shape the clay. I do lack some experience regarding the glazing process since I have not had plenty of access to different techniques/a kiln etc.

I would like to throw a vessel, possibly a flower vase and decorate it. As of now, I have the idea to write the lyrics to a song (from Taylor Swift, his favorite singer) we listened on our first date on the vase. Even though I have a lot of ideas, I am stuck at the point at which I want to materialize them. I am not sure where to start since I don't know how large of a pot I should throw, whether my standard clay body (G&S 254) would do the job and how the specifics of writing on clay work. Apart from transparent glaze (Mayco SW-001), I have several other stoneware glazes (e.g. Mayco SW-115 Midnight Rain, SW-504 Red Gloss, SW-402 Dark Flux, SW-119 Cinnabar) available and previous firings using those have been successful. I also have underglaze ceramic pencils but I am not sure how they work exactly. 

I would like to ask for your creative input, previous experience and ideas! What shapes work well for flower vases? Or do you think another form (a big fruit bowl or who knows what else) would work better for this idea? Do you have any other ideas with respect to decoration/glazing? If I use the pencils, must I use transparent glaze to be able to see them after firing per se? Is there any other possibility to make the vase more interesting when I only decorate it with pencils and transparent glaze (e.g. is it an idea to use two different color clay bodies and throw a two-colored marbled pot)? I do not intend to make a white pot with some scrabbled letters and transparent glaze only.

I am sorry if it is a lot and I realize the questions are plenty, however, any input regarding any part of this idea is highly appreciated! Thank you in advance and I will keep you updated throughout the process! :)

Best and have a good day! 

Lucas

Edited by janssenlucas2
Corrections and some minor additions to glazes available

As for decoration, have you ever thrown a cylinder, then decorated it by either stamping, or incising then shaping the cylinder into the shape you want?  I find this a very satisfying way to work, and if you have letter stamps, or a decent script hand you can work wonders with phrases in the clay. Then after bisquefire before glazing you can use a stain/underglaze to work color into the script and wash off the high areas. This will allow the decoration to show up under glaze layers if the glaze layers are thin enough and not too dark in color. Check out some of the posts on my blog site. . . listed in my profile.

best,

Pres

You didn't mention how much time you have to pull this off. You will need several tests and trials, from start to finish, before you are likely get a result that is what you intended and (or) that you really like.  So, I'd want to be sure I had enough time to deal with the inevitable process of getting from point A to point B, including set-backs. Time is especially important if it should turn out that  there is a need to switch gears and design something else. Just something to think about--how much time is available to explore & produce to your satisfaction. Just FYI, Sanbau Studio offers underglaze transfer papers (lettering sets) for ^04 to 10...maybe someone else here has some experience with a transfer method...tho it would probably not be something to use for a lot of text.

Glaze pencils on white clay would be good for writing more than 10-15 words. Bisque a few small pieces to test how the glaze pencils work and how much clear to apply. Make a few large pieces, a bowl, a pitcher, a vase, with some surface smoothed with a rib to write on. Bisque fire the pieces.  Choose the one you like best. Write lyrics on the cleared space with the glaze pencils and brush over that area with clear glaze. When dry, wax over the lyrics and proceed to glaze the rest of the piece with colors you have been successful with.

If there aren’t too many words, you can carve them into the leather-hard clay with a stylus, needle tool or small loop tool and glaze as @Pres suggests. You will still need to make test pieces to try out various glazes or stains that will work for you.  

If you are working on other things in the studio for practice or assignments, you can test some of your ideas on them. 

Happy Anniversary (even if you have to present an unfinished piece or photos) :wub:

Edited by Rae Reich

If you can manage 5 kg of clay, I’d guess you’re at a point where you can you can attempt to replicate or make your own version of other pots. Try looking at some historical examples for inspiration, and see how you can modernize or put your personal spin on it.  Holland has some notable history with tulipieres, so that could be a starting point. If that doesn’t appeal, lots of places have made assorted Meipyong or orb shaped jar variations that would make excellent canvasses for writing. The vases supplied by a florist usually are ones that are designed around more functional considerations than aesthetic ones, but small changes to proportions can make for a more interesting piece.  You mentioned the possibility of a fruit bowl shape: a simple form like that with Swifty lyrics written in a spiral would be a very striking piece, and fairly straightforward to execute.

Once you have your form chosen, there are lot of ways to possibly transfer your chosen lyrics onto the piece: if your handwriting is good, freehand it in pencil first and then go over it in glaze pencil or painted oxide. If you have my penmanship, you could project an image onto the side of the pot to trace, you could use a number of transfer methods using photocopies or printed materials to create a template you can go over. If you have simple printmaking materials available, you can create mono prints with underglazes or slips.

Looking at your chosen clay body, you will want to fire it to the top recommended temperature to make sure the porosity of the piece is as low as possible. Mayco says your chosen clear can be used up to cone 10/1280*C, so you’re good there. The clay body does fire a bit beige/cream at that point though, so you may want to consider a white underglaze layer to pop any black writing. 

Hiya, since you are asking for information at the junction of practicality and aesthetics I might suggest trying to write on flat surfaces. For me it's not *hard* but it's not easy either. As something to think about you could consider shaping your pot a bit while it's leather hard. Here is a video of Lisa Hammond teaching how to make her squared off bottle, which requires tapping and shaping the pot to have "flat" sides:

I only point you to this since I prefer writing (and reading) on flatter surfaces. Hope this helps and I'm excited to here how it goes!

Edited by baetheus
grammar