QotW: What is your latest "Pat on the back" process, idea, or tool purchase?

Hi folks, I have been making chalices and patens the last few days, 9 patens setting out in the shop after Saturday afternoon of throwing. These are wet still, as we have rain here the last two days. I have to say, I am loving the new roller stamps that I bought of late to decorate with. I throw the cylinder for the cups, stamp it with the roller while the wheel is moving slow, single pass or multiple pass, gets me some texture. After that I enlarge the cylinder into a chalice bowl form, compress the rim with first/second finger web and under cut with a wooden rib and then cut it off with a spatula. Easy. Decorating the paten that is used for bread is just as easy with the roller stamp after throwing again while the wheel is turning. I have to say it is a "Pat on the back" process that I love doing and is pretty efficient. Doesn't take much to please me of late.

QotW: What is your latest "Pat on the back" process, idea, or tool purchase?

best,

Pres

Found a small, but heavy roll around stand in storage when we were packing to move, hmmm; its single vertical pole ends in a screw down collet for something 17 mm round.
My ancient articulated desk lamp thingy could fit in there? Just need a piece of tubing with outside diameter 17 mm and thin enough to fit the lamp.
Starting in plumbing, calipers in hand (the cheap plastic one, not the expensive one...), I measured everything round at local A** Hardware.
Down the aisle from the wooden dowels and small/tiny lumber bits, a rack of various metal bits, there's some lengths of 21/32" tubing, aha!

lampthingcropped.jpg.f50c0452fb42c88e111e2f668170d884.jpg

Some thirty-three years ago, this lamp was headed for giveaway pile, unless I wanted it for the garage; the base was missing.
I drilled a hole in the workbench,  voilà! ...but it got much to hot, hence the aftermarket cooling holes.
These last several years it is running with an LED floodlamp, much nicer light, very efficient, and cool as well.
Recent eye exam reveals onset of dreaded cataracts, which explains, in part, why I put so much lights on...

I can roll this just where it's needed, then roll it outta the way as well!

Edited by Hulk
pic added

When I purchased my Brent Wheel I didn't have a stool for it.   I had lots of wooden stools around,  so I padded a seat  and shorten the front legs on one to where you sat at the right angle to throw.   After using it for a while I figured out I need a  swivel stool,  I bought a garage shop stool and shortened the front legs.  It works great and is very stable.  So I have this old stool sitting around,  after using it a few times I found that it is comfortable and easy on your knees when you stand up.  The other day my husband was painting a car his childhood friend came over to give his advice  and encouragement.   His friend was a mail carrier and is in pretty bad physical shape,  he was about to grab a garage stool  so I got the old padded stool out of my studio and  said you get to use the magic stool.  He sat on it and said it was very comfortable,  I told him to stand and he said wow that was easy.  He thanked me at the end of day and said it made his day very comfortable.     Denice

I'm having these moments almost daily since I'm trying out a bunch of new hand building and decorating techniques. I'm amazed and proud of myself every time something works out the way I hoped it would, or I discover a way to make the process faster or more successful. I haven't had this much growth in such a short time since I first started making pots. I'm having a great time!

On 5/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, Hulk said:

onset of dreaded cataracts

Off topic, but I must chime in..I've been dealing with slow-growing cateracts for years now. My doc(s) strongly advise against surgery yet because it inevitably has to be redone and (for me) is expensive, so since I have minimal effects I've decided to wait until they say "go".  BUT--what I am beginning to notice is that hues and tonal variations are beginning to morph together. Blue on purple, or dark brown on black, for example, become as almost one...a PITA, but not worth getting surgery just for that. You, however, are likely much younger, so maybe don't wait until you can't see the side of the road at night LOL.

On topic, I have little-to-nothing to add. I have lots of small scale "toot my own horn" ideas/processes etc. but nothing related to clay at the moment. 

On 5/3/2023 at 8:52 PM, LeeU said:

Off topic, but I must chime in..I've been dealing with slow-growing cateracts for years now. My doc(s) strongly advise against surgery yet because it inevitably has to be redone and (for me) is expensive, so since I have minimal effects I've decided to wait until they say "go".  BUT--what I am beginning to notice is that hues and tonal variations are beginning to morph together. Blue on purple, or dark brown on black, for example, become as almost one...a PITA, but not worth getting surgery just for that. You, however, are likely much younger, so maybe don't wait until you can't see the side of the road at night LOL.

On topic, I have little-to-nothing to add. I have lots of small scale "toot my own horn" ideas/processes etc. but nothing related to clay at the moment. 

Lee I change eye doctors last year because the last one kept trying to up sell me on different new test that weren't covered by insurance.  I asked my new doctor about them and he said that my eyes were healthy  he didn't know why he would do all of those test.  My old doctor said I had fast moving cataracts,  my new doctor said they were mild and nothing to be concern with for now.    I guess I'll wait and fix them when I can't see the side of the road.    Denice

I too am dealing with cataracts, but the Dr. says to hold on them for a while.  When I have them done, I will add extra bucks in to correct much of the astigmatism that makes my lenses for glasses so expensive, and heavy even with plastic lenses.

best,

Pres

I got no personal experiences around eye surgery, so I can’t offer anything on that one.

One of the best purchases I’ve made recently was the Maker’s Playbook photo course. I love it because it’s affordable, specifically for potters, and shows you how to create easy photography systems that are very friendly to my ADHD. It’s helping me break my posting paralysis on IG, which was no small thing! Taking good photos is something I’ve struggled with, despite the number of other workshops I’ve done. (Not trying to sound like an ad, but I found it really helpful.)

• Pres unpinned this topic