Transporting leatherhard clay.

I recently held a class quite a distance from my property. The attendees made a variety of pots, bowls, plates. 

My question is 

When will the clay be at its best stage to transport. Initially I ws thinking leave till dry but today I was wondering if hard side of leatherhard would be better, my gut feeling.

Wrap in newspaper?

Bubblewrap?

Thanks

Babs

In the past, I have placed everything on wareboards, still in the leatherhard stage, and transported that way.  I have a Subaru outback, I was able to lay the seats down and accomodate all the wareboards.  I have also transported in low tubs with lids, placed some old towels and rags between things just to keep them from knocking together.  That way I could stack the tubs and get more in the car.  I prefer transporting things in leatherhard stage, rather than dry.  A bit more resilient, I guess.   I have a bumpy rural roads for part of my journey.   Good luck!

The type of padding is less important than whether or not anything can shake against anything else, or if there’s any load bearing considerations. Dry or even firm leather hard ware is still going to be extra vulnerable to vibrations caused by going over even small bumps like utility covers. Don’t let pieces rattle against anything.

If you stack things like bowl, make extra sure that the item on the bottom of the stack can withstand the weight of the items above it, and that the uppermost items aren’t being supported on the rim of the item below. Try to line up foot rings on top of each other. 

I have greenware tyransported every two weeks. to my studio for 20 years. I have also done it alot myself.

The trick is to flip the pot if needed so the heavest side is down.Put on ware boards  or bats whatever size  you have, squares are more efficiient space wise

The professional tip is covering it with towels. I use beach or wash towels. That steadies it and keeps it from moving. . This will make all the differeance 

gently cover and gently remove towels

I ended up using a variety of depths of plastic tubs with towels on the nottom, newspapwr between the pots, and towels on top. One tall one with an extended foot, think tree roots , had a plastic bucket lined with towels and supported by foam bits all to itself!

All home, on their rims, on the shelves, a few touch up colour slips needed . Tomorrow..

Subaru back full, bucket strapped in to front passenger seat. Left fox terrier at home , too risky, eh!