QotW: Do you have any pets or other animal visitors to your shop?

Hi folks, I have been getting into the shop more of late as I have and order to complete. I was watching the birds outside while throwing chalice stems the other day. I have a bird feeder outside on the deck up high. I got to thinking my cat Whispers would like to watch them from out here, but he's a house cat, and I don't want to get him in the habit of going outside to the shop.

QotW: Do you have any pets or other animal visitors to your shop?

Please include pictures if you have any.

I once did not get the door shut completely in the Winter years ago, evidently I had a few visitors, one a large rat, and another the cat or dog that killed it.

best,

Pres

My dog Bruiser is a blanket baby, being possessed of little fur. (He’s a boston/pug cross). So he doesn’t like coming into the basement studio unless it’s high summer and too hot anywhere else. He’s not much of a studio assistant.

This thing here, however, keeps trying to sleep on the reclaim bed that’s covered with a sheet, is deeply fascinated by both throwing and trimming, and keeps trying to go for a swim in my slip/glaze buckets. I present to you all my first-ever cat, Nippet. 

She would like to be deeply involved in all pottery processes, and has appointed herself official studio cat.

5D2A7D14-A0F0-4506-A3EC-E11DC3873745.jpeg

I'm not allowed to have pets in my rented mobile home, which contains my studio. Broke the rule once with a pet python named George, who was nice and quiet and kept to himself. George  declined to consume a Dumbo rat I had gotten him (wrong type for sustenance), so I kept the rat and named him Lunch. The landlord finally said it was either me or the snake-one had to go (he was severely phobic). George was re-housed with a friend, but I kept Lunch. He was a wonderful pet, but he croaked a few years ago. Now I have tropical fish, but they do nothing for me in the studio.  I guess I have gone off track regarding pets & studio, but I like to contribute LOL

I am Lunch-not lunch.JPG

I have always kept a dog bed in my studio,   I have  only had three dogs in the past  that would hang around.   My  new dog  is still at that chewing stage so I haven't introduced him to the studio yet.   He is a chiwienne  and somewhere around a year old,   it could be another year before I try.  He is laying on the top edge of the couch right now looking through the blinds,  he must be part cat.     Denice

None that belong to me.

Robins nesting under the worktops on top of the cupboard. 

Found a long-tail til dead on the floor yesterday.  Probably came in through the open window/door and couldn't find it's way out.  Suspect it had flown at the closed (glass) door and knocked itself out.

Lots of bees and butterflies come in through the open window and either get rescued by me or expire in the summer heat..

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet pics. My studio is on the third floor of a six story warehouse. While I don't have pets, myself, several neighbors do. Little Bella, a Weiner dog, will stop in and say hello. The other neighbors like to hold her in their laps, when she visits, but I don't, so she sometimes gives me a disapproving look. Leo, a medium size mutt, likes to see if there is anything interesting in my garbage can. He likes to run in, check the garbage, and run out. He greets visitors to the floor with occasional barking. (Bella likes to bark, in general, if she's not getting enough attention from anyone.)

Pre covid we would have an open studio day, in April, where we would allow/encourage visitors to bring their pets in. As the stairwell doors would be open you would hear occasional barking all day.  It made for quite a social event, with dogs barking, and owners introducing themselves and their pets. It also made for good sales. Dog owners would take their dogs home and then come back later to purchase artworks.

• Pres unpinned this topic