Tools For Clay Sculpting

Hi guys! I've recently gotten into clay sculpting but I've been very curious and interested in this type of art ever since I was introduced to it in elementary school. I loved it every time I had the chance to work with clay and for me it was like a filter to dispose all my hyperactive energy as a kid. So now as an adult I decided to reminisce on my childhood hobby and start it all over again. I know that I need some basic carving and sculpting tools to start with but I have no idea which ones will fit well with my experience level. These guys have some great clay tools to  offer (link to supplier removed by moderators) , but considering I'm a beginner I have little to no knowledge on which ones would be appropriate for me to start with. So please consider to jump in and shower me with your opinions which will be utterly respected!

Cheers

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the Forum!

Good question.
Depends on what you're making and how you go about it - you might start with a cut off wire, a set of sculpting/modelling tools, and perhaps a paddle, a set of rails and a roller.

You'll need a surface to work on and somewhere to put your in-progress work.
When you take a break, keeping the work from drying out may be important, so a spray bottle and coverings*.
Buckets are key to my process, water to work and clean up with, clear water for final hand rinse afore leaving the work area, another bucket for clay scraps that I'll let dry out for reclaim, yet another bucket for clay slop/slip - buckets!
Big sponges for clean up, small sponges for working with clay.

*cloths, plastic sheeting - something to slow down the drying.
I use rigid containers, inverted over each piece, which isn't a particularly popular approach - it works for me!

Many of my own tools have been found or repurposed. I buy bamboo kitchen tool sets, cut off the handles and make ribs and incising tools of the pieces. In the HS I would make certain to have bamboo chopsticks to make tools for fine carving areas. A basic tool set of wire end tools is good for wet carving of clay, whereas the ribbon end tools are better for leather hard work. If you know of a dentist you may talk to him about discarded tools as those are also good for carving leather hard clay. tongue depressors work also to make tools or use as is for smoothing areas.

The suggestions from Tom work very well for a working and storing area. Often it is best to not work to finish. . . . I would so often lose track of time ending up going to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning! Learn to store well!

best,

Pres

Clay tools for sculpting are dead cheap to get started, which is great! The beginners tool sets found wherever you’re buying your clay are great to get started with. A lot of people’s favourites wind up being found or repurposed items. 

Ware boards to put your pieces on and drywall/tiling sponges cut in half are a couple that haven’t been mentioned yet. Rather than dipping your hands in water constantly to avoid clay drying on them, keep a damp sponge to wipe off on. You’ll save your skin and your piece. A couple of towels are also nice. If you stay with it a little longer than an adhd hyperfocus hobby (I feel that pain!)a banding wheel can be an upgrade.

You will need to start this journey a small and large thumb,   a medium wire tool to cut out excess clay and a rubber rib to smooth clay.   You might want to make your first piece before you buy anything to get a feel for the tools you will need,  your hands are your best tool.   Look around your house and garage and there is many objects you can use.   A old credit card makes a great stiff smoother,  you can make a them out of plastic bottles also.  A couple of homemade wire tools  I bought are the best wire tools I have ever had.  I have seen a  small cheese slicer used to cut off excess clay.   The thumbs will have to be whittled out of wood,  using a dremel  grinding stone on a piece of soft wood like pine it makes  pretty quick work of it.  I made a small thumb once by gluing a stack of popsickle sticks together and shaping on end like a thumb.   Have fun!  Denice

I agree with Denise. Your hands are your best tools! I bought lots of tools in the beginning and find that I use very few. I would suggest an inexpensive starter set and see what you need. 

I have often thought that it would be helpful if an experienced sculptor reviewed the various tools and showed how best to use them, but I haven't come across any sort of tutorial that addresses this. 

#welcome to the best pottery forum.

+1 to everything above, and

If you have any plans to get any of your sculptures fired, you will need something like a spoon or loop tool to remove clay from the inside.  Solid sculptures can't be fired. (I know, never say never, but not in my kiln anyway!)

If you don't want to hollow your sculpture, you could always make a mould and then slip-cast a thinner, lightweight model from it.  And there's another rabbit hole for you to wander down.

Enjoy