Glazing and firing a conical shape

The wire will not support those, even if they’re light as a feather. Using stilts is how some people manage to glaze the bottoms of things. Generally stilts are rated for low fire (cone 04 or lower).

As mentioned above another solution is to leave the bottom rims unglazed. Still another is to use a room temperature finish, paint, varnish, etc. Since they’re not something people will eat off of it’s worth considering. 

You might test* somewhat like this:

A clay "stilt" - a tapered clay cylinder that supports the conical piece from within - touching perhaps about where the fourth or fifth circle of branches are, so it's stable.
Thus, you could glaze the bottom edge and up the inside - leaving plenty of unglazed area for the support, of course.

I was trying to remember where I'd done something similar, finally remembered, the upper portion of a two-part fountain, where I wanted the upper portion's drip edge glazed. A support cylinder did the trick. Lucky for me, the support and the ware didn't stick together! I was happy with the result, where all parts in constant direct contact with water are glazed. I run the fountain when I'm in the Studio; it makes a nice sound.

*test, as in limit the trying of something new to one or two tests, vs. risking the whole batch!

Edited by Hulk
subject/verb agreement

13 hours ago, PaulineNL said:

I have made a bunch of conical tree ornaments, I bisque fired them and glazed them today. I would like to glaze the interior of the cone as well as the bottom rim. But that leaves no place for it to sit on a kiln shelf. What is the solution?

place three small sea shells (filled with wadding [mixture half alumina half kaolin wet to a stiff paste); shell side up touching each cone ware item.  the wadding supports the weight of the ware;  
The fired ware will have three small rough spots where each shell meets with the glaze that can be pollished with emery paper.  if the ware item is quite heavy, used larger shells. 
I have used this method for many years at firing temperatures from cone 011 to cone 12+ with 100% results at oxidation and reduction firing.   

LT

Edited by Magnolia Mud Research