Super matte glaze?

Sorry if a variation of this question has been asked but I wasn’t able to find what I was looking for when searching.

Is it possible to get this sort of result from commercial glazes? This is the look I really want to achieve but don’t know if it’s possible with a commercial glaze, or even with an electric kiln.  I’d really appreciate any advice.
Turquoise+Bowl+with+Br0026.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTeX3zrQLkpwwO9uuV37C

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Shaina Mahler said:

Anyone? :)

If I was recreating that I think I would paint the blue with underglaze including the wash effect then overglaze with a matte clear. Likely a glossy clear or decent liner for the interior and matte for the exterior, since they are all functional.  if I was dead set on matte everywhere, inside and out then I would try and make sure the interior was more satin, not as prone to metal marking and reasonably known to be durable. So to me, the underglaze and artwork would be a yes and the matte clear would be a matter of if you could find a matte you like. 
If this was sculpture and non functional then I could just underfire the commercial matte to make it more matte and see if I could find a temperature best look combination.

If I were mixing my own glazes (cone 5/6) then I would just dial in the amount of matte / gloss I wanted by varying the silica in the recipe until I got the level I wanted. Here is a recipe formulated very dry or matte and will go to full gloss as more silica is added. You are welcome to try, this is not for everyone though.  Some folks love it and for others, not so much.

https://glazy.org/recipes/19734

using a matte glaze can give you very subtle results as these pots show.  i use a beautiful matte glaze on the exteriors of most of my bowls.

if you are interested in making functional ware, please try using a spoon in or on a matte glazed bowl before you invest too heavily in the idea of it being ok as a liner glaze.  you will find that the sound of your spoon scraping the bowl will remind you of chalk screeching on a blackboard.  oh, wait.   there haven't been blackboards in school in ages, you may not be familiar with that sound.

The environment you fire in has no bearing on the glaze surface. Matte glazes are possible in both gas and electric kilns.

Dumping alumina hydrate in a glaze, up to 5%, will turn most glossy glazes into matte glazes. (Or some variation thereof.) 

Changing your clay or silica percentage is the ideal way to do it however. Digitalfire.com has a load of glaze recipes and talks about this in detail.

I have mixed a clear matte out of John Britt's book that is similar.  3M satin matte.  Let me know if you want the recipe.   Amaco makes some lovely matte glazes.  Check those out and see if they have a clear.  They come in pints, so you could do some testing without breaking the bank.  

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...