Olsen 16 gas kiln + Wind control

CarolineL

• Hi, we have an Olsen 16 gas kiln. How can we stop the wind from blowing out the burners (at the bottom). Also can’t seem to get it above 1850 and really want to get to 2200.  Have bisque fired twice to 1850 was ok but the 3rd firing (glaze) was a disaster with the wind blowing out the burners and the glaze did not mature, the work coming out super dull. What can be done?? 

E7430260-20A2-4174-9FE4-6BC91BE739B0.jpeg

If wind is an issue, all you can do is put up some wort of barrier to block it. You could put some cinder block along the base of the kiln to block whichever side the wind tends to blow from. You don't want to seal off the entire bottom, though. The burners need air, so just block a side or two.

If it's not getting to temp, then you need to adjust the settings. Assuming everything is set up properly, a common cause of failure to reach temp is trying to use too much gas. More gas does not necessarily mean more heat. How is this plumbed- natural gas or propane? Where are the air flaps on the burners set- how far open? Is there a pressure gauge on the gas line?

The air flaps are the discs that can screw up or down at the back end of each burner to control how much air is going into the burners.

There's really not much  you can do about wind other than block it off. As long as the burners have a source of air you'll be okay, so you can  build some sort of wall around the base of the kiln that will block the wind but is far enough from it that it'll still get air.

Was the previous owner firing with propane as well? If not, did you change the orifices in the burners?

This is a brand new kiln kit that was recently constructed with the help of a contractor. However, it is clear to us that we need to hire a plumber that is an expert with propane burners, and hopefully with kilns in general.  We will also seek help with some sheet metal for wind protection. Thank you Neil!! Will let you know how it goes. 

5 hours ago, CarolineL said:

it is clear to us that we need to hire a plumber that is an expert with propane burners, and hopefully with kilns in general.

Yes I would agree. The gas pressure gauges ought to indicate the pressure to the burners downstream of the hand operating valves  so from the picture it seems the gas train may not be configured correctly. Olsen ought to have a piping diagram for you. If you ordered this as propane then you will likely need the proper regulator if running from a tank.  In the picture pilot safety is confusing as there are  baso style safety main gas with a single thermocouple for three burners. Confusing! Probably want to ensure this is all correct.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Thank you guys so much for the smart feedback. The kiln shelves to block the wind is a brilliant idea as they are heavy. We were using some 20 x 20 tiles propped up everywhere. My main concern is that the propane is safely set up. Oldlady, Wow I’m so sorry to hear about your friend and you’re right the “contractor” that did the propane he was not happy with his life he grumble the entire time. I have a call into the local gas company trying to get their top person out here and I’m just not getting responses. The page for setting up the propane pipes on the manual was pretty involved and it intimidated the plumber/contractor who set it up. I really wish I could’ve gotten an electric kiln with a Bartlett controller! We live in a mountain community and getting more electrical to the house was near impossible so we had to go gas. I share the kiln with my neighbors but they’re going to go away if I can’t get their pottery to be shiny! I will post back here and let you know how it goes. Thank you everyone so very much! I was just not getting answers this is a serious very serious thing having a big gas kiln. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! What a great resource you all are! So much important input. Neil, we learned what the air flap is. Would not have known about this so thank you. A great plumber came today (Dennis does everything) and he knew just what to do in every direction :-)   Will block the wind with plywood for this Saturday bisque firing but plan a metal gate with acrylic for a permanent blocker.  Progress in all directions! Still to see about getting to 2250 with a glaze firing. Will post once more when it’s all dialed in. What a great group you are, so much knowledge and quick response. THANK YOU

• 3 months later...