Medallion Mug Question

Hello, can anyone tell me what the best practices are for making medallion mugs?

I have been looking into the process and have noticed that everyone seems to use a different kind of clay for the medallions than the body of the piece. I use stoneware for my clay body and the grog in it makes it unsuitable for sharp looking stamps.

What type of clay is best for medallions?

What is the best type of stamp?

How do you get it on the mug securely without distorting the image?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

Edited by amandarosekelly
Spelling

not sure this will help because I think the “best” way varies 
I have always used the same clay for the medallion as the base clay just so I knew their shrinkage was compatible. As far as medallions and impressions my observation has generally been those with lots of detail need to have a nice  sharp stamp.

If it’s round medallions you are trying to make, maybe better to slab cut them, impress your shape on a flat surface and then cut out the medallion to dry towards leather hard. If these are to be applied to a mug, then gently pre-shape them to fit distorting them as little as possible.

My sense is the many techniques you are seeing are the result of the artists figuring out what is the best way for their wares and their clay and their preferred aesthetics. . As far as best stamp, I have had several cut for Madison Pottery. The first were too broad and required too much force to impress. In each rendition I reduced the width of the letters until I found something that looked good but did not require so much pressure to get the impression.

Kind of a trial, observation, then maybe re trial until you find something suitable to work with. Hope that helps! Others here will likely tell you their favorite way.

I like to use a darker clay for the mug, and white clay for the medallion. That way I can dip one glaze on the whole thing and still get good contrast between the two. Just make sure the two clay bodies have the same shrinkage rate.

I roll out 1/16" thick slabs for the medallions. Anything thicker than that looks pretty bulky. I've used simple rubber stamps that you can order online from any number of places for very little money, and I've used more expensive stamps that make a raised emblem (I think I got them from 4clay.com). I spray the slabs with cooking spray to keep the stamp from sticking. After stamping, I cut out the shape and set the medallion on a rolling pin or pvc pipe so that it can dry in a curve that roughly matches the curve of the mug, and clean up the edges once it has set up. You want the medallion to be as close to leather hard as possible when attaching it, otherwise you risk it cracking as is dries. Also, the stiffer the better so you don't mess up the image. To attach, I do some very light scoring (can't do much since the medallion is so thin) and coat the entire backside of the medallion with slip. I like for the slip to ooze out around the medallion so it gives a really clean edge where it meets the mug. No little voids.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your help!

To glaze the medallion and get the cleanest/sharpest fill, do you usually use underglaze and sand it off? Or just glaze and sponge?

I’ve looked at Deneen Pottery’s medallion mugs and I can’t figure out how they get such a sharp image with fine detail on their medallions.

3 hours ago, amandarosekelly said:

Thank you all so much for your help!

To glaze the medallion and get the cleanest/sharpest fill, do you usually use underglaze and sand it off? Or just glaze and sponge?

I’ve looked at Deneen Pottery’s medallion mugs and I can’t figure out how they get such a sharp image with fine detail on their medallions.

I just dip the whole mug and use a glaze that breaks well. No wiping or scraping. But a glaze and wipe technique works well.

Stamp the circle with whatever your image is. Make your own stamp or you can buy one.

I have been around a zillion mugs with stuff on the sides either mine  or others back in the day-My studio assistant made women bike mugs for years-I think a few photos are in my album if you look.

We use a small needle bulb to apply the glaze (thes ecomes with a few micro tips) or colorant into just the indentations and spong off any extra (usually not needed). Then wax over it to freeze it or glaze it and wax it whatever system you are looking for in the outcome

I have a power sponger if you are doing say 50 of them. My guess is thats what Deneen does as well

Once you get it down its easy-just takes time lots. of time. I had a potter who supplied the local natiuona and state parks with logos of redwood trees with park name on each mug as I said seen a zillion of this type of work. You can order your stamp in metal ,wood or make your own in clay

Edited by Mark C.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:39 PM, Mark C. said:

I have a power sponger if you are doing say 50 of them. My guess is thats what Deneen does as well

Hey Mark, thanks! That is really helpful! 
When you say ‘power sponger’ what would I look for to find something like that online? Because looking for that on google is getting me nowhere lol 

Its a machine not made any more so you will not find it.. At one time they where custom made for $500 from a guy in Oregon in the 90s. He is deceased and then machines have been off market for decades. They where great for glaze removal ,clay slip cast lines etc.

Just a good old wet spong will do that job