Long distance moving a kiln

Well the world moves faster than it seems I can keep up with.  My longed-for kiln (which is quite large) is on its way - and we will be moving out of state as soon as humanly possible.  Now the expense to wire it in seems wasteful, and indeed even the purchase of the kiln itself would have been put off had I suspected an imminent move.

I've considered just not uncrating it but what might that mean for the warranty?  

Any ideas for what to do now would be really helpful.  I'm a bit depressed over all this.  I just got this house pretty much the way I wanted it.  It all seems a waste now.

If you receive the kiln and do not unbox it, then it will be safer for moving to the new house. However:

1. If you don't unbox it right away then you won't be able to make a freight claim if there's damage from the original shipment. When you finally do unbox it you'll have to deal with any damage yourself.

2. It'll need to be moved with a pallet jack or forklift if it's not unboxed. Using a pallet jack to get something onto a lift gate is difficult.

It may be easier to move it to the new home yourself in an SUV or pickup, which would allow you to uncrate it when you receive it, and pack it safely in your vehicle.

L&L will not hold your order for more than a week. They simply don't have room to store people's orders.

If you know where you'll be moving, you could:

1. Have it shipped to a freight terminal at the new town, pick up the kiln there, and move it into a storage unit until you're ready for it. You'd need a truck that they could forklift the pallet into when you pick it up.

2. Have it shipped to a friend in the new town, who can store it in their garage for you until you move.

Email me if you have other questions. Sorry you're having to go through all this.

I can't have it delivered elsewhere, I don't know where that will be.  It will most likely not happen until next summer - my son is an academic and that's when job changes would go through for the current hiring year, which is not quite underway yet.  We are definitely moving and we are definitely moving very very far.  Probably northeast seaboard.

This really hit me out of the blue.  My son has repeatedly insisted a move was not possible.  Then Tejas politicians went crazier than usual.  I told him this was going to happen.  He never believes me.  *sigh*

This is the worst timing.  I mean really.  I'm terrified of losing my entire brand new kiln because of having to move it.  I never ever would have bought it had I thought there was a chance we'd be moving again so soon.

12 hours ago, GEP said:

You can probably resell it for list price. Buy a new one when you are settled in your new location. 

This is a great idea. With the market the way it is right now, there's a good chance someone will want to buy it since factory lead times are still so long.

However, if you're going to be there for a year, and your studio is ready to go, I would go ahead and hook it up and fire it. A year is a long time.

• 1 year later...

The market's buzzing, and you might find a buyer sooner than later with those long factory lead times.  But hey, if your studio's all set and you've got the itch to create, why not fire it up? A year is indeed a long time, and who knows what masterpieces you could whip up in the meantime!   By the way, if you ever need some tips for a smooth move, check out ThreeMovers. They've got some great insights for the journey!

Edited by JohnUmoru