My replacement policy just bit me in the @$$

I have a policy where I tell folks I will replace their mug, spoonrest, sponge holder, etc... all the day to day use stuff, for half price if they bring me the broken pieces back.

In 3 years no one has taken me up on it. Well, today it happened, but yikes, the one time the person takes me up on my offer... and it's "that" one! I told the customer it will never be the same, there is no way to recreate that handle, sigh...

broken mug.jpg

Yup, I think the best way to manage this one is to level with them. Your work has evolved since then, and the new piece will reflect that. Reassure them that you can replicate the feel of the characteristics they liked about the original piece. I’m assuming a solid feeling handle with enough finger space factored in big for this customer.

My replacement policy depends on a case by case basis. If a pot failed due to a defect, the customer gets a free replacement. This has happened a handful of times, when boiling water caused a pot to crack along a weak spot. This is how I learned that mugs and teapots should not be trimmed to be super thin. If a pot is damaged due to an accident, no replacement or discount is offered. That’s part of the natural life of a pot, sometimes they get dropped or banged on something. Not the customer’s “fault” but still their “responsibility.”

In one case, I split the difference with a customer. She put a tray into the oven right under a broiler, and it cracked. This is how I learned to tell customers to keep my pots on a middle rack in the oven. Before then I didn’t know that customers need to be advised of this, so not totally her fault. She was happy with the half-price replacement, and even bought another nice pot while she was at it. 

Attempting to recreate this handle presents many possible problems, for both the potter and the customer. I agree with @Rae Reich that a better solution is to give the customer a “store credit,” then let them pick from your existing stock. Who knows, they might find a new mug that they like even better.  

Thanks all.

I don't usually make mugs like that, but sometimes I like to add an unusual one to the mix, sometimes it's just the handle, sometimes textured with slip, etc... to make a unique item. There are lots of folks that buy those simply because they are really different, in fact those usually sell faster than the "normal" ones.

My policy was assuming they would break a regular one, (I make 3 shapes) and just grab one off the shelf. The customers are well aware of the fact that reproducing one of the weird ones is not really possible and I have had folks just straight up buy another mug because they broke a weird one, but this man was very attached to this mug and asked me to try. We discussed it and tempered expectations. I',m going to make 3 and he can pick the one he likes the best, or one from the shelf.

@Babs He bought it this past Winter, the picture is one I took when I made it.

@Callie Beller Diesel That is actually a mug I made this Winter so I'm not sure how much my work has "evolved" since then, lol, and yes, the weird handle was the biggest factor.

@GEP I would maybe tell this customer to pick another mug, but I am really low on stock right now and they are all "normal", the unusual aspects of this one was the reason he bought it, so I agreed to try, plus he is the only person to  ever ask for it. I can reproduce the technique used to make that handle,  basically slapping the clay down like you would if you were going to make a slab without a roller, but it results in a pretty random set of ridges and valleys.

@shawnhar People can go through artistic growth spurts! A lot can happen in 6 months. But if the way it’s worded doesn’t work, folks should pick something that does. 

I think you did the wise thing in letting him know the situation, presenting 2 options you’re willing and able to deliver, and letting him decide from there.  I think when you encounter a problem in your business, the best approach is to deal with it honestly and promptly. If you can own that something went left and present fixes, it helps people feel looked after, and like they’re working with a professional. You don’t want to rush a response, but you don’t want to delay it too much either. 

And I think there’s nothing wrong with amending your shop policies in the light of new information/occurrences. If this person decides to choose from the remake ones, you can then decide if it’s a fix you’re willing to offer in the future, or if you just remove any one off pieces from your replacement policy, or something else.

Ok you will replace, but not free of charge?

I thought you were giving him a freebie.

Inless the mug cracked when filling with boiling water, I wouldn't be replacing anything. 

I have been approached re handles dropping off and on inspection it appeared that the mug was handled roughly, no pun intended!

Reasonable, common sense and courteous manner usually wins the day.

15 hours ago, Babs said:

Ok you will replace, but not free of charge?

I thought you were giving him a freebie.

No freebies unless it was my fault, but I give them the option to replace the one they broke for half price.

I look at it like a wholesale price for customer retention/good will and it's less than the cost of advertising with a more positive interaction.

8 hours ago, shawnhar said:

No freebies unless it was my fault, but I give them the option to replace the one they broke for half price.

I look at it like a wholesale price for customer retention/good will and it's less than the cost of advertising with a more positive interaction.

Wow!! Very generous!

17 hours ago, LeeU said:

Maybe I am missing something, but it looks to me like a simple incised & twisted handle application, so why would it be impossible to (very closely) replicate the style on a new mug? Just curious.

I made the handle by slapping the clay down like you would if you were going to make a slab without a roller, but it results in a pretty random set of ridges and valleys.

26 minutes ago, shawnhar said:

I made the handle by slapping the clay down like you would if you were going to make a slab without a roller, but it results in a pretty random set of ridges and valleys.

I am willing to bet that the customer is attached to the large and “strappy” shape, which is a very comfortable shape for a handle, rather than the specific ridges and valleys. Shape is something you can control, so I would focus on reproducing that aspect. “Strappy” meaning wide and flat.