does this need to be repaired? - severe cracks in kiln bottom and loose microprocessor connection

mthk

Hello fellow potters,

I am fairly new to ceramics (2 years of courses) and it would be great to hear your thoughts on my first kiln that I just bought second hand for a really good price. 

1) While removing the silver sand from the bottom of the kiln, I discovered that the bottom of the kiln shows pretty severe cracks. However, they are not going through to the outside of the bottom, even though you can look into the cracks and pieces of bricks broke off on the inside (no hairline cracks anymore). Do you think this is save to fire or does it need a repair first? 

2) Another thing I noticed is that the screw heads of the microprocessor connection broke off. By gently pulling on it, it comes loose from the kiln body and you can see the cables. It does not fall out by itself though. Do you think this needs to be fixed? I could attach it with tape or clue. 

Many thanks in advance for your help! 

IMG_4340.jpg

Capture.JPG

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

Kiln floor, if it were mine I would replace it. Do internet search on brand for spare parts. You may be able to find crews to match the screws at your local hardware store, or on line. Only replace with SS screws or others rated for heat.

All IMHO,

best,

Pres

On 12/27/2021 at 2:05 PM, mthk said:

I contacted the manufacturer and hope they offer spare parts. Everything else is in perfect condition. 

You mentioned loosening the floor band. The band is very important, it must remain tight especially if the kiln stand does not extend to the outside edges of the kiln. New bottom, tight band, maybe make sure the stand extends all the way out to the kiln edges at all four corners else without the tension of the band the stand might begin punching through the bottom of the kiln. Some folks add a steel plate the size of the kiln just to ensure the floor is evenly supported.

The floor and lid of the kiln will not stay intact without the bands exerting tension on them all the time. They are very fragile without this.

It really looks like a latched connection so If all else fails remove it, drill it out and install new rivets or tap the casting and secure from the back with machine screws. I believe you will need rivets or screws that do not stick out because of the clearance needed to pivot the latch. This seems to be a high voltage connection so maybe wiring to relays. Either way it also appears to have a significant latch to it to keep it retained.

Archived