Lettering a marriage crock

15 minutes ago, Pres said:

I do not believe it is salt fired. Seems like an underglaze or wash of cobalt washed off of high areas with a clear glaze over top,IMHO.

best,

Pres

Thank you for the fast, helpful reply! Would you use cobalt oxide or cobalt carbonate? I've never used a cobalt wash but am willing to try! Here is a closer shot of the pot. I think I see a tan clay at the bottom? 

Screenshot_20210422-163738_Messages.jpg

So the glaze is a white or off white glaze. Oxide or Carbonate will work, However, I would definitely do some test tiles. The carbonate is weaker in color, but could be used if that is what you have. 

best,

Pres 

34 minutes ago, Pres said:

So the glaze is a white or off white glaze. Oxide or Carbonate will work, However, I would definitely do some test tiles. The carbonate is weaker in color, but could be used if that is what you have. 

best,

Pres 

I will definitely test. Would you say the cobalt is over the white glaze? The band at the top and bottom makes it appear that way to me. 

I believe you may be right, but then again testing should identify that. I still think that the logo/lettering is stained before glazing. the banding at top and bottom may be before or after. Testing should help you decide on when to do it.

best,

Pres

Cobalt is really strong, it can show through a covering white glaze. You could also try a cobalt slip on greenware then wiped back. Unless you use a really stiff (non fluid majolica type glaze) I think you might get some bleeding / fuzzy edges if you use a straight cobalt wash as cobalt is a flux. Pot below has a fairly heavily opacified white glaze overtop of an iron slip plus cobalt.

DSC_0156_001.jpeg.6657e5e21c48bf41dbb23c7213ef8711.jpeg

Looks like a clear glaze on a light colored stoneware to me. They come out gray in reduction firing when under a clear. I'd use a blue underglaze. Flood it into the letters with a squeeze bottle or syringe and you'll have very little cleanup to do, if any. Then a lightly tinted glaze, on a light colored stoneware with speckles.

Not salt pots for sure

Just add some colbalt carb to a little water  mix it up in air tight container. Use a brush to apply

This is cone 10 porcelain with a clear glaze over on these baby bowls I made for family members and friends (I do not do this for the public )

Cobalt is hard to remove so be carefull applying .Use a small brush witha good tip. I turn the bowls on a wheel at slow speed to band them

IMG_3351.jpeg.f6fc64c12768c957e792afcf76b0e3fc.jpegIMG_3350.jpeg.8e8474825898195192c6ea3770730c16.jpeg

18 hours ago, rox54 said:

Thank you for the fast, helpful reply! Would you use cobalt oxide or cobalt carbonate? I've never used a cobalt wash but am willing to try! Here is a closer shot of the pot. I think I see a tan clay at the bottom? 

Screenshot_20210422-163738_Messages.jpg

The tan clay at the bottom is just that...the foot of the piece is unglazed. You can also try using a blue underglaze in the recessed letters and the bands, coat the letters and bands with wax resist and then finish glazing with whatever floats your boat...

Archived