Pieces warping/getting stuck to bats

Oooh yeah, forgot 'bout that!

The white plastic rounder (in my picture, above) has a hole cut in the bottom; the cut off turquoise tumbler is fully open, of course, and the intact turquoise tumbler doesn't get stuck on account of the shape is not round, there are facets that allow air. The faceted one actually works better that the smooth one, imo.

@Miriam AshI used to teach in the high school, and used the water trick off of the wheel head often. Sometimes students could not get the hang of it with a wire so I moved them to a cutting string. Little thicker cut, would drag more water through. Sometimes the cutting wire cut will re-adhere to the wheel head clay that is left on there. This can be dealt with by a quick twist when removing the pot from the wheel with most of the grip at the base of the pot. You can make a string tool with a handle that has a pointed section for trimming, and it does save a lot of time.

best,

Pres

On 2/28/2021 at 4:36 PM, Miriam Ash said:

I love the idea of a tapered tool but Bill Van Gilder's is sold out. Can you give me some examples of plastic containers you use?

Cut off top of a plastic bottle.

Cut the bottom off a funnel.

Yoghurt pot.

Flower pot.

Blah blah blah

• 1 year later...

That a significant portion of thrown pots don't come off the wheel close to exactly round, never mind stay that way seems true, has been noted ...and yet, many do!
I had a bowl with a wonk in it, so picked out a finished bowl (a round one!) - a bit bigger and wider, so easy to hold on to and makes contact at the inside rim only - to use as a rounder. Now I have several shapes set aside to round with.

For cylinders, am still using tapered containers...
127690080_roundersagain.jpg.2d619d498ecd3b143a81ea5cc0745813.jpg

...I like the faceted tumblers, they do the job, less prone to sticking.
These type of rounders are set in the rounder place, on account of they have a hole in the bottom; if/when a seal is achieved, the hole is helpful.

looks like dormant threads are archived after two years of inactivity
This thread last updated two years ago tomorrow*
if update.date +2 years < today's date then
archive

I use a twisted braid wire, have used a guitar string or two. Even made my own "wire" by attaching both ends of a fishing line to centre of wheel , holding the loop end , spin wheel till really twisted , release from wheelhead and allow to double back on self then tie each end to washers as holders. Allows air under pot, leaves a nice pattern.

Spin wheel as you pull the wirre towards you or away.

If throw firm clay , you can float a bit of throwing slip under as you cut.

After lifting,Don't try to reshape at rim, apply pressure at the foot when pot a bit firmer.