Glaze aplication advise

I dip all the pottery I make in a clear cone 6 glaze. The problem I am about to face is I threw a pot to big to dip and pour out at 9" X19". 

I was thinking of spraying the glaze but have never done that, I do have a spray gun with the pot on top but have never used it and don't know how much I have to thin the glaze.

My other choice would be to pour the glaze inside and pour it out, then place the bowl upside down and pour over the outside and maybe brush the bottom. I know this would work but maybe spray would be better .

Sure could do with some advise from others that have faced this issue.

Big bowls I put upside down on the banding wheel to pour the outside as it spins, then flip it over and pour some glaze inside, swish and pour out.  If you have a glaze that's really picky about being thick, might be a good idea to use a pump sprayer to spritz the inside bottom first so it doesn't absorb as much glaze.

For spraying you don't thin out glaze, and like oldlady said, best to not try it out on something like this.  Takes a while to figure out when enough is enough with a sprayer.

If you do want to try spraying, 40 psi on the regulator and put on a banding wheel outdoors, wearing a respirator.  I spray 3 layers, the last one ends up looking almost like orange peel wall texture.  Scratch in an inconspicuous spot to check thickness.

I pour all my large bowls -inside 1st and then outside . You need to pour the inside fast as you spin it (I use my hands) . Same with the outside. I use a funnel pitcher to pour the glaze with as its super control .I have posted this before. I'm pouring two of the larger bowls today. I'm not sure how you will not smudge that drawing?. Clears need to apply thin generally .

16 hours ago, oldlady said:

do  not try spraying.   it takes a while to learn that skill just like learning any other skill.  (why would you water down the glaze?)

glazing a piece by pouring is also a skill that takes practice. all glazing methods take practice to get good at and all have their own unique challenges.

also i've watered down glaze before spraying many times seemingly no adverse effect. sometimes the glaze is too thick to use in the spray gun...

for me spraying large pieces is easier and results in a more consistent application. there's more work with it setting up and cleaning up but i get much better control over the thickness of the glaze on something large with spraying.

(glazing a piece by pouring is also a skill that takes practice. all glazing methods take practice to get good at and all have their own unique challenges.)

This is very true. I pour my bowls-maybe sometime i'll shoot a video on that. I also have a large bucket I'm working over-its extra wide. I spin the glaze out and blow any overlap before it dries. I spin the bowl with my fingers when pouring the outside using a funnel pitcher . The key is fast and control and even application.

I make lots of pots and spraying is to slow for me. On glaze day I glaze hundreds of pots. I have sprayed and can spray (you need to learn spraying to be good at it and its a skill every potter needs at times) I spray much of my salt pots for example.

Archived