Planning to make candle jars

Hi I would like to make containers where I can fill it with wax to make a candle. What are some tips you guys have for me before I get started. I plan to use stoneware clay since it can handle high temperatures, but other than that I’m not sure what to look out for. For anyone who is experienced in this what could you recommend me to know or do to make sure I can use the ceramic container for candles. Thanks!

I think they need to be wide-mouthed. 

I have two, both commercial, made of glass.  One is a v shape, and burns really nice.  The other is straight-sided, with shoulders and a  narrower neck.  It burned OK when it was quite full, but now it's got half-way down, it smokes a bit.  Not sure if it's the wax or the shape, but it has changed since new.

58 minutes ago, Chilly said:

I think they need to be wide-mouthed. 

I have two, both commercial, made of glass.  One is a v shape, and burns really nice.  The other is straight-sided, with shoulders and a  narrower neck.  It burned OK when it was quite full, but now it's got half-way down, it smokes a bit.  Not sure if it's the wax or the shape, but it has changed since new.

The smoking is generally caused by a lack of oxygen caused by the narrow neck and the depth that the wax has burned to...

there is a way to make candles more attractive.   just cut shapes that make light spots in the top half of your wide mouth cylinder and put wax only in the bottom third.   you should also put a footed  saucer under it to hold it off a wooden table surface.   think about hot wax burning all the way down and what scars that could cause to someone's very expensive tabletop.

I was making candles out of mug bodies that I wasn't able to out handles on before they got leather hard.  They were the perfect size and shape.  I just melted soy candle wax and mixed with some lavender and citrus essential oil and poured them, real simple.  I stopped making them when I found out I could be held liable for someone burning down their house.  Candlemakers insurance is pretty expensive and isn't included with my liability policy.

Archived