Ventilation for Paragon kiln...

Hi everyone....is there an alternative way to vent a Paragon kiln?  Something that won't require a hood or any other alterations to my basement?  

I bought a fairly large, used Paragon....even had it hardwired into our electrical box.  My husband refuses to pay anything more to get a hood or proper venting.  

Is there anything I can do?  I have sooooo much greenware from the winter/quarantine, but now I'm at a standstill!

Any help is much appreciated.  

Athesia

28 minutes ago, Athesia said:

Hi everyone....is there an alternative way to vent a Paragon kiln?  Something that won't require a hood or any other alterations to my basement?  

I bought a fairly large, used Paragon....even had it hardwired into our electrical box.  My husband refuses to pay anything more to get a hood or proper venting.  

Is there anything I can do?  I have sooooo much greenware from the winter/quarantine, but now I'm at a standstill!

Any help is much appreciated.  

Athesia

You should really vent it appropriately for safety, but one idea is a downdraft vent. It still requires work and expense and will not remove the excess heat, just hopefully most of the fumes. So short of open windows and fans to blow out an opposite window I am not aware of any no cost ideas.
So if I were to ventilate using a fan, I would open a window near the kiln and some distance away, open a second window with a nice box fan in it blowing directly out. The fan would draw  in fresh air from the window near the kiln and exhaust it outside While passing through the room. While this is not a designed fix, it’s better than nothing.

Good luck

Short of new husband? Bill covered the other idea above well-

as to the new husband find out 1st before marriage if fumes will bother him in house?

And if he will support creative works

I can expand this list if you need that.

59 minutes ago, Athesia said:

My husband refuses to pay anything more to get a hood or proper venting.  

Is there anything I can do?

I was going to say trade in your husband but that would've been bad. Better advice would be to follow what Bill wrote.

edit: @Mark C., I think what you wrote, "I can expand this list if you need that." would make a good QofTW for @Pres . I'm going to suggest the topic of what do our partners / families put up with when living with a potter.

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Short of new husband? Bill covered the other idea above well-

as to the new husband find out 1st before marriage if fumes will bother him in house?

And if he will support creative works

I can expand this list if you need that.

Mark, if there's a next time around for me, I'll know how to vet him.

11 hours ago, Min said:

I was going to say trade in your husband but that would've been bad. Better advice would be to follow what Bill wrote.

edit: @Mark C., I think what you wrote, "I can expand this list if you need that." would make a good QofTW for @Pres . I'm going to suggest the topic of what do our partners / families put up with when living with a potter.

Min, there's no bad or better advice....I'm working on both simultaneously lol.

Bill's idea is the easiest and least expensive.

I know someone who hangs a very big oversized galvanized tub over their kiln with a hole cut in for duct piping and a duct fan then vented it out through a wall.  It worked really good

How's the basement set for ventilation (any ventilation?)?

Sounds like a bad idea; kiln fumes rise, being warm ...into living area.

Any road, we repurposed a patio heater hood - attached a bathroom fan (four sheet metal screws + some duct tape) and flexible vent; it moves a lot of heat!

On the other end, we bent up a mixing box out of galvanized sheet metal, routed ducting through the wall with an inline fan to pull from the bottom of the kiln. Special bits likely not necessary for drilling holes in the kiln floor...

Out of pocket for the inline fan, ducting, sheet metal, power cord, and thru wall fitting; the rest we a'ready had.

I'd like to have a stronger fan on the hood, however, the kiln is in the garage, so full open on the rollup door, man door open on the other side, lots of ventilation. Even so, I'm not hanging around kiln when it's going. Lots of hot air blow out of the hood's vent, and surprising how warm the air is coming out of the kiln vent, as most of the air comes from the mixing box's (adjustable) ambient ports. 

Archived