weight of fired porcelain

How much would a 10kilo bag of porcelain weigh after it has been fired, would the fired weight be more or less than the wet clay?? Thanks :)

When asking that question, consider the weight of water, and the existence of mechanical water and chemical water in the clay. After firing none of these waters are present.

If the manufacturer cannot tell you then test. cut off 100 grams. wait til bone dry and calculate physical water loss FYI. then high fire the piece, weigh on a gram scale. then use your pre algebra skills to exyrapolate to the full 10 kilos. while you are at it form the 100 grams into a tile and carefully mark off 10centimeters. the shrinkage % CAN THEN BE ESTIMATED AS WELL.

You'll also burn out any carbon-based materials present in the clay. Don't forget this stuff all comes out of the ground, so there's millions of years of decomposed plants and lizards in there, too....

Ewww, wanna gross us out? lol.

One forgets where our raw materials come from :-)

I recall someone telling me that some of the ancient Chinese potters, when preparing porcelain for the next generation, would urinate on the clay to improve plasticity before covering the pit.

This technique was not only used in Asia, throughout Africa, and other countries.

You'll also burn out any carbon-based materials present in the clay. Don't forget this stuff all comes out of the ground, so there's millions of years of decomposed plants and lizards in there, too....

I know for a fact, that there is some T. rex in my clay.

I know for a fact, that there is some T. rex in my clay.

T. Rex were not good throwers because of their tiny arms...

T. Rex were probably hand-builders . . . mostly earthenware, which led to their extinction. : )

You are gonna catch so much crap for that.....laugh.gif

Yes, us old dinosaurs are watching...

Most days I feel as if I am one with T.Rex . . . not only is he/she in my clay, but I primarily hand-build.

Archived