Increase clay density

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the world of pottery and I like to explore unconventional combinations. I'm trying to make small objects  that need to have a high weight. According to Google, fired clay should have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 g/cm^3 (gram per cubic centimeter). What I'm trying to achieve is a density between 2.5 and 3. I don't know if any special clay with that density exists, but I thought at some metods to increase common clay density. I could include in the clay metal chips, metal powders, metal oxide powders or small fragments of rocks with high densities. I use earthenware clay and could mix it with chips of copper or very fine iron powder, for example. The answer is if this is realistic or would result in a mess of cracking. I calculated that powders or chips would be 30% of the clay body in volume, or less. Could I fire something like this? tell me what you think and if you would try something different

Off the top of my head: 

Mix some commercial clay body with a dense metal oxide such as iron oxide, titanium, or rutile.  
According to wikipedia:  fired porcelain has density about 2.4 g/cc and titanium dioxide (TiO2) has density about 4.2 g/cc. so it should be a reasonable starting point.  color is most likely to be near white:  Other commercial clay bodies might be just useful if color is not a constraint. 

My suggestion is to get some porcelain clay body and some TiO2 powder and try blending them together, make some balls and fire to maturity of the porcelain.   You should find a combination that would surer your purpose.  

alternative is to use porcelain clay body and mix rutile (a crude version of TiO2, ~2.3 g/cc) into the some and make balls and fire.  

If you can to for the color of the final object to be other than white: you can add iron oxide (~5.2 gm/cc) to porcelain, or to any commercial clay body.   

In either route, the clay must be fired to maturity, otherwise the open pores of the porcelain will lower the bulk density of the fired balls.  Commercial Rutile composition  implies it might be more reactive with porcelain. 

mixing solid metals into a clay body is not likely to be effective.  most metals will oxidize unless heated in an inert environment and the metal oxides are generally less dense than the metal it self.  soft metals (copper) will melt during the firing as well as oxidizing.

LT

according to mds  zircopax density is 4.6 g/cc.  

http://www.aardvarkclay.com/pdf/raw_materials/SDS-Zircopax Plus-Endeka.pdf

It should work also.   zircopax  is ceramic, but so are all metal oxides.  Just not what most potters think about .    

take some clay add some heavy oxides and see what happens.  

LT

Thank to all of you for the suggestions. I know heavy ceramic is something very strange to think of, but this application needs weight. What i'm trying to realize are flat disks about 8 cm in diameter and 0,8 cm thick, no glaze, no decorations, no food-proof, not necessarily vetrified. You would probably laugh if i told you what those are for, so i won't hahaha. I think i'm going to try some metal oxides, starting with the cheapest, like iron oxide

5 hours ago, Gek said:

You would probably laugh if i told you what those are for, so i won't hahaha.

If you trust us enough to accept our advice, you should let us be entertained (laugh) at your purpose.  We are not the ceramic police (unless you want to fire glass chips in a ceramic bowl).

On 4/15/2020 at 4:55 PM, Chilly said:

If you trust us enough to accept our advice, you should let us be entertained (laugh) at your purpose. 

I'm trying to make some stone skipping stones. I'm a good stone skipper and i want to compete in championships, but taking away stones from rivers is illegal in Italy (i live there), so i want to make artificial stones to practice.

My brother and I used to stand in a pile of rocks at pond's edge and practice skipping (also at seaside, along lake's edge, etc.) - at the quarry a few miles from our house - the rocks were all smooth discs, tons and tons available.

You might find smooth rocks in bulk, e.g. https://milonstones.com/index.php/rumi-stones/ in Bergamo; they have a selection - see image, below. Get a truck load!

No doubt you've found that a low release point, below the knee, shallow angle to the water, high velocity, and lots of spin all help to get many skips. My record is 58 skips - no more, too many injuries and don't have much snap left, haha. Our father could get over thirty skips quite often, which, of course, we wanted to beat; many many hours of throwing. Decades ago had 90+ mph fastball, wicked slider and late breaking curve ball.

skipping rocks.JPG

(we all had a good laugh as well!)

On 4/19/2020 at 10:21 PM, Gek said:

I'm trying to make some stone skipping stones. I'm a good stone skipper and i want to compete in championships, but taking away stones from rivers is illegal in Italy (i live there), so i want to make artificial stones to practice.

I think that's a brilliant challenge.  No ideas from me, but I wish you well in your quest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 12:56 AM, Hulk said:

My record is 58 skips - no more, too many injuries and don't have much snap left, haha

That's really impressive! Not so many years ago that would have been the world record. I picked up stone skimming 8 months ago, so my numbers are still low.  My best throws should be around 50 meters and 30 skips. Aah! Injuries, don't tell me.  I put a lot of effort on getting better joint mobility to prevent that, but it's difficult. Thank you for the suggestion!

• 1 year later...

Perhaps stone skimming (aka "lobsta cutting," "ducks and drakes" (my favorite), "slipping," "frogs" ...) events will make a comeback.
Many of the high-profile events were cancelled these last two years.

I hope Gek was able to find a reasonable source for skimming stones - actual rocks, that is - ready to throw.
A few minutes of web searching yielded several leads, per my post above (19-APR-20).

There are piles of skim candidates on a few of our beaches here on the central coast of California. Some of the sedimentary rock breaks down to wafers, which weather down to skimming size. The Pacific Ocean isn't an ideal skimming pond, most of the time...

Archived