Dirty little potter fingers

Juliagoolia

I was so careful in my glazing. I did my inner glaze one night, then my outter half dip.  And then on the final night, hopped up on cold meds, I did the crystal glaze on the rims of my mugs.  Before each dip I smoothed the rims to ensure no big buildup and I DID NOT PROPERLY WASH MY HANDS ENOUGH!

i have dirty little cobalt finger prints on the exposed belly of these mugs. I'm only 6 months into doing work outside of pottery classes. Should I reglaze and refire? Wet dremel? Sell them in the dark? Give them to my mom?

All advice welcome. Including, do not glaze on sudafed.

Thank you potters.

20200215_082737.jpg

Live with it as its a learning thing. Cobalt is very hard to get rid of and you now know not to do this again. It really not that bad looking anyway.

Make more and move on-ceramics is about learning and moving on with new knowledge .Mugs work fine look ok and only you will notice this.

You could try sand them down with a diamond sanding pad if you have one or covering up the fingerprints with another glaze but by the time you try those fixes you probably could have remade them. Glaze refires are a crapshoot. There are always going to be oopsies, put them in your cupboard and use them like they are or give them to your mum and spend the time you would use trying to fix them by making some new ones. 

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you! My sister and mom will both adore them :):)

I've realized over the last 3 glaze firings that I've done on my own, with glazes I mixed myself, that I need to chill out with the results. I actually have a number of pots that I put aside to refire or smash for mosaics, and when I look at them 2 months later, I realize, oh, I actually like this. This plate in particular I HATED the glaze when it came out. I cursed my entire batch of Alberta Yellow. 

And now I love it. Pottery is weird. Art is funny. 

Thanks for the feedback, I've lurked on this forum for a long time and really appreciate the effort folks put in!

20200213_104205.jpg

7 hours ago, Hulk said:

Frankenstein effect!

It's alive! Soo beautiful, my creation. However, later, what have I done, it's a monster, eek!

...still later, hrm, monster not so bad after all.

and vice-versa.

Now I make my sister come over and stop me from, well, hulk mode. smashy smash.

Archived