Sign in to follow this  
Slump bowls

Flipping heavy slump mold

I think I would work out some sort of jig to fit the slump mold in so you can pivot it upside down. Closest I could find of this type idea is this Rotating Slip Casting Table. I'ld make it with a few alterations, forget all the slip casting stuff in the video for starters. Make it so the cradle is just a bit taller than your slump mold. Have the slump mold on a piece of plywood with some holes drilled around the edge then have another piece of ply (same size) across the top of the mold. Put the mold onto the rotating table sandwiched between the two pieces of ply and then secure them together with some webbing (or rope) then rotate the table upside down. Undo the webbing/rope and remove the top piece of ply and the slump mold, leaving the slumped clay bowl upside down on the bottom piece of ply. It could then be flipped right ways up again. 

Other option would be to get another pair of hands to help flip it over onto a board.

I was thinking about something like this, but could not nail down specifics.  I did not want to make a dozen prototypes.

Yeah, another pair of hands would be ideal.  But, where I live does not make this very doable.

Thanks, the video gave some possibilities on how to approach the issue.

B.

I seen a video one time of a man who makes big giant three part vessels, like hundreds of pounds, and he made a contraption to flip them over so he could join pieces.  It functioned like a teeter inversion table, you sandwiched the part, removed a pin from the table and flipped it over and then put the pin back in place before removing the piece.  Was real impressive, but didn't look expensive, just well engineered.  Good luck to ya!

And fill the cavity with something, sponges, crumpled towels, anything to help support the clay, so it doesn't try to collapse.  Unless it is very dry, of course.

Edited by Chilly

11 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I seen a video one time of a man who makes big giant three part vessels, like hundreds of pounds, and he made a contraption to flip them over so he could join pieces.  It functioned like a teeter inversion table, you sandwiched the part, removed a pin from the table and flipped it over and then put the pin back in place before removing the piece.  Was real impressive, but didn't look expensive, just well engineered.  Good luck to ya!

A flip top table with an accessible opening underneath should work. If you used something like a pneumatic stool underneath so when the mold was flipped over you could push the stool underneath it and raise it up to support the piece then undo the strapping and roll it out. 

How about this: lay a piece of plastic in the bowl. Get a couple of cans of spray foam from home depot, lowes, walmart...  fill the inside of the bowl and let it harden (might take overnight). Trim the excess foam flat with a bread knife. You now have a reverse slump mould.  should be much easier to flip the bowl with the inside support... or outside? Whichever it is.