Creating a booth for the first time

Newbie here! I'm struggling with setting up my first booth! Ugh! I make small sculptures that look best if seen at or about eye level. Folks have suggested pedestals or risers on tables. I've created some rough ones from foam core, but need to make sturdier ones from wood.  Because my 'guys' are small I need some ideas to make them pop.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would like my booth to look more like a gallery than a craft booth and I'm starting out with black fabric covered metal panels (better design for framed artwork). These are not sturdy enough for me to hang shelves from without worrying about things being knocked off. 

Any and all suggestions and recommendations!

scuplturesphoto.jpg

Nothing wrong with foam core risers! If you cut and construct them cleanly, they will work just fine. You want people to look at your work, and not notice the risers at all. Foam core will also be a lot lighter than wood. When you’ve been doing shows for a while, you start looking for ways to make things lighter. There will always be more than enough heavy lifting to do at shows.

No matter what you choose to build your risers out of, design them so they pack flat!

Since your items are small, I would suggest a booth layout that is more like a jeweler’s booth than a potter’s booth. Jewelers don’t need as much display space. They tend to put part of their display across the front of their booth, so passers-by will see the small work close up without needing to enter the booth. 

4D1B7B41-772C-43CD-88CA-1E66B190F10D.jpeg.315a876c7203f18d58c500dca891ec6f.jpeg

Thank you, all for the advice. My concern with the foam core risers is damage, but I'm thinking I may cover them with fabric or carpet, something that will not fray when cut, but the idea of having them fold up is great ( I have a photo tent that is completely collapsible with velcro on each side &  that is a great product)

I'm wondering if I should make table fabric and risers black, but I'm guessing I will have to paint them first to see how it looks.

Thank you GEP for the table layout advice, I will try that, shoot a photo and repost to see what you may think. I have read your blog posts on Art Fairs and find everything helpful and informative, including advice about not purchasing a tent right away. I hope to see you at a show sometime, as I am located in NJ and will hope to attend the CAA show in Baltimore.

I think covering foam core with fabric is a good idea. Foam core dents easily, and fabric will hide that. If you use the same fabric as your tablecloths, this will help make the risers disappear, and make your figurines take a visual step forward. 

Black or white will work. Just stick to neutral and solid colors. Do not use bright colors or patterns in your display, these will distract from what you want people to see, which are the figurines. If you are going for a “gallery” look, galleries are more likely to use white risers and pedestals. However, in an art fair situation, white displays get dirty. My whole display is white, and it does require some occasional cleaning. 

On 6/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, bonetownstudio said:

suggestions

I could see thin, matte or satin finish, risers made of metal, black and/or white, ehancing the overall visual while accentuating your pieces. Not an industrial vibe, more of a designer look.

Each figurine on it's own little stand.  Don't crowd them.  Less is more.

Black stands and black background, as they all appear to be quite light in colour.

All those shown are looking up.  You need something for them to be looking up at.  Or make some that are looking down, and have them higher.

Can't help with actual materials (felt glued to the structure ?) or making the stands.

Archived