What temp is it ok to crack the kiln lid?

I'm tracking temps in my latest firing. I have an old Norman Electric Kiln. I found I needed to slow the heat rise in the last portion of the firing but It cooled steadily at 100° per hour which is plenty slow and that's with kiln vent on. At that rate it should have been cooled to 300° by 2pm today but it seams to have stalled at 11am  around 700° since  at 1pm it was still at 700°.  I opened the vent and still it only dropped 50° in the next half hour to 650° so I also cracked the lid and we're down another 50° in a half hour. I'll check it again in an hour but as it cools the cool down really slows to a crawl! It's killing' me!

I don't open it until it gets down to 200, only because that's where my kiln basically stays for an entire day if I let it.  I think I've seen that some people crack at 500, but that feels risky to me, I did it once and heard my kiln bricks start to make noise.

I make myself wait 'til 200. I'm too antsy to risk anything over a few hours of impatience! Mostly this with regard to with New Hampshire winters, which are very cold, for a very long time, and my kiln is on an unheated back porch. 

Archived