PEEPS, what are they good for

So obviously we need peep holes from time to time, but why are there so many, and when I'm doing brick repair, can I just get rid of some of them. I leave my top peep open, I like to see a cone drop. But the rest are kind of a waste, and when I break one with my shin, I'm wondering A. Why don't I be alittle more careful B. Why can't I plug that hole with something that doesn't protrude into the path of a shin, thigh, hip. Please avail me of thy kiln wisdom.

I gave up on trying to look in to see the cones, but I think it helps to remove them to cool that last 200 degrees, other than that I have no use for them since I use a vent. I have a solid one that came with the kiln, only sticks out 1 inch or so, they could all be like that as far as I'm concerned.

Both my Cone Art and Pottery Supply House (Euclids) kilns  use peephole covers not plugs. They swing open or closed, don't stick out or get lost since they're attached to the kiln jacket. I prefer the stainless ones on the Cone Art Kiln, PSH kiln ones are stoneware. (would be easy to make some) I do like having them to check cone packs once in a while.

IMG_2816.jpg.f03d2bc31dbb15501d27e1610f8768f7.jpg

2 hours ago, Hulk said:

Do those get hot Min?

Yes indeed! You'll only make the mistake of touching them once  though ;) I just use the end of a post or anything that's handy to swing them aside.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20190603_133005.jpg.cb6680417d8d6d1cada74d373b7cfd69.jpg

I don't disagree with the need for ventilation and I view a cone pack through the same peep, but I doubt I would ever use 6. The cone pack at the bottom, I leave till I unload, it tells me what I need to know. Does anyone have any info as to why there are so many peep holes.

So you can take a peep inside :D. Maybe just a holdover from the manual firing days of having to check the color?  I remember in elementary school our art teacher told us she needed to check the kiln to see if it was done, and she would go take out one peep and a time going from top to bottom and take a little look inside.

Peeps will allow more control of the kiln, a view of element glow, helps to tell if all are firing, in some cases even with a full kiln the color is different between shelves if an element . Most peeps are tough to see all going on when using cones why I place mine perpendicular to the cone pack to fall to either side. Color for most of  us is about as accurate as a cone pack, and will let you know when the pack should start to fall. I often check the peeps in different places to help me gauge that my switches are set right for the amount of rise I want. As far as ventilating, probably a hold over from the days of unvented kilns when wax resist and other materials would be burned out in the kiln, best to have plenty of areas for the gasses to be expelled.

best,

Pres

Archived