cracking bottoms in the kiln

Hi,

I would like to ask you for help regarding some trouble with cracking bottoms of my pieces in the kiln.effect that is not described below.

When I fire in my electric kiln I can observe that the bottoms of the bodies get stack to the shelves or just crack at the bottom. See the picture here<https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzUYiXaPPNa3TZ80pGXEUeQBfob> (often there are more severe and damaging cases)
So, I think it is not:
-         Overheating above clay limit as I happened to different clays including porcelain. In all the cases the clays were supposed to survive the temperate of the firing (about 1230 C).
-         Overheating due to broken controller, because no other signs of it, it happens on every shelf.
-         Shelf wash because I changed it 3 times
I wonder how to avoid this problem? What is the root cause?   Maybe the atmosphere from the glazes or wrong heating curve (usually 80C/h to 600C, 120C/h to 1230C, 20min, skip)?
Can you share your opinion?
Thanks in advance

Is it something as simple as housekeeping? In those last 2 pictures especially, it looks like there's residue of glaze (or other things?) which is definitely going to cause your pots to stick to the shelf. Are your pots perhaps picking something up from a dirty ware board? Even if you're using wax, you still have to wipe glaze residue off with a clean sponge, using clean water. It pays to be really immaculate about feet. 

It also looks like you have very sharp edges at the transition from side to bottom. Those edges are more likely to "grab" the shelf and they might not clean up as well as a slightly smoothed over edge. 

I don't see traces of kiln wash left on the pots, did you grind it all off? How thickly are you applying the wash to the shelves?

Grind your shelves so there is no glaze on them-wash them with this  formula mixed to heavy cream constancy .

Also make the edges of pots more smooth as noted by another poster.

This will cure your sticking issue

1/2 alumina hydrate

1/4 calcined EPK (bisqued to cone 08 or so)

1/4 EPK

45 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Grind your shelves so there is no glaze on them-wash them with this  formula mixed to heavy cream constancy .

Also make the edges of pots more smooth as noted by another poster.

This will cure your sticking issue

1/2 alumina hydrate

1/4 calcined EPK (bisqued to cone 08 or so)

1/4 EPK

Adding what Mark has recommended in other posts - use a paint roller to apply the wash, clean any wash from edges of shelves. A good application should last you for several firings with just touch-ups where needed. 

Hi, thanks a lot. I will grind the shelves and apply wash again with a paint  roller.  

Regarding the idea of glazed button - the middle picture (red clay) is misleading because it was positioned on seeshells (you can see the 3 marks). But maybe you are right that they are dirty in general and same traces of old glaze could have remained on the shelves.

The idea of sharp edges is very interesting. I will have to look for other post to understand what exactly you mean by smoother edges...

i didn’t grind the bottoms from any wash, there was no need. Wash itself was applied in 3 runs as creamy paint. 

Thanks for recipe. I’m from Poland and I don’t think that ‘calcined EPK’ naming is recognized here. What exactly it is? In my recipe I use 1:1 kaolin and alumina hydrate. 

Regards

Yes just fire some EPK in one of your pots in a bisque fire  to whatever temp you bisque to. Dump it out and brush or wash pot out and its ready for glaze fire. 

Mix your wash to a heavy cream consistency and roll it on with roller . I have a few posts you can search for on this topic. I put my shelves in sun to heat them up roll them in sun and let dry. two coats on new shelves.

Archived