Wedging Table Design...

Rex Johnson

So, I'm getting tired of my noisy and shaky outdoor make-shift wedging table. It's basically a 2x4 frame with 2" of cement and a scrap marble top sitting on a metal bench.

Actually now I just use the bench top that's covered with vinyl drawer material. None the less it's noisy and less than stable.

Wedging tables in the past I've used have been heavy wood construction with a frame filled with plaster.

I use to wedge on the cement floor but those days are over (knees).

Looking for a solution that's sturdy enough not to dance across the floor and stable while I'm slapping 15 pounds of clay when prepping slabs or kneading.

Seems like a simple deal but I'd like to see what ya'll use. 

I'm thinking 24" X 36" in size. My studio is uncovered and outside.

Bolt it to the wall.

Use concrete board, Hardiboard, and be sure to put a 1/2 inch piece of plywood between the hardiboard and your 2x4 frame for supporting the hardiboard. Also, sponge down the hardiboard before wedging as it will suck the moisture out of the clay. 

Wearing the shoes you normally wear while doing pottery and standing on the flooring that will be in front of your wedging table, with hands held at your side, measure from the floor to the middle of your hand. This measurement is the finished height of the wedging table. With the height measurement at the front of the wedging table, slant the table 15 degrees back toward the wall. This slant utilizes your body weight more when wedging and the slant is easier on your wrists. 

Mine is outside against the wall. I did shim the front bottom so the table is at maybe a 10- 15 degrees slope. I find this angle helps with the wrist not being bent back as much. Also water sheds off of it. I have a cotton duck top. When I have the means and time I will weld up a frame with the slope (because I love it) and pour in a 3-4 inches slab plaster. I would store in the studio and not outside.

My wedging table is attached to the wall, with a brace system for a single front leg. I also added a fold down top to use when wedging white clays so that the Hazelnut will not contaminate. The hold down top uses two side boards to fit snuggly over the table itself. My table uses cement as a base with canvas top.  Fold down is painted wood. Whole thing is steady as a rock.

best,

Pres

Thanks, all good ideas. I hadn't thought about securing to a wall, I guess because my 'studio' (workspace) being outdoors is all free standing.

Only one wall available, that being the house, and it's the bedroom/bathroom wall. Not so sure my napping wife would appreciate the thumping coming through the castle wall :o...

I'm probably going to have to find or build something and secure it to the cement floor somehow.

Always a challenge working outside.

Latest Blogger

IMG_7132-X2.jpg

Archived