New Piece, Super Early Progress

Hee. I couldn't wait to go any further before I posted a pic! ^_^ My hands are fried today, so he probably won't get worked on again until tomorrow, buuuut...

Here he is! Cap'n Cavy, the guinea pig pirate! ^_^

Bear in mind that he is still in a really primitive stage. He'll get a royal pirate treatment by the time I'm done fixing him up! ♥

I think this is the last time I'm gonna build with Clay Art Center's redart with mica. It throws really nicely, but it takes a lot of effort to blend smoothly and isn't as plastic as the Xtra White stuff. Their Seward Terracotta is also more friendly for handbuilding. :) I've been thinking about trying paperclay, but I'm not sure how well it takes underglaze...I've never used it before, but I hear it's heaven for sculpture. :3

Welp, there you are!

post-63665-0-68921400-1484168615_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-68921400-1484168615_thumb.jpg

Your eye is showing. i would wager that your animals now are effortlessly powerful without you even trying much. just shows what you can make so effortlessly without even thinking of it. i know the technicality must have taken so much time with trying to make the mica disappear, but did it take you a long time to just form  Guinea. meaning the angle of the head? did you burnish the surface a bit? 

i agree Spunky Ginny certainly has a personality. 

Awww, thanks for the kind words. ^_^

Well, I made the head and body separately. The head is a pinch pot with air holes in the nostrils, mouth, and neck, and the body was pinched, piece by piece, with a hole on top to match the hole under the head. I made the legs separately, too, putting them on with a wad of clay under the body to keep it stable. :) As for burnishing, nah. My hands are too shot for that kinda work (I have psoriatic arthritis); I just kinda smooth it with my fingers and a small rib. The mica is also still there, but will appear as white flecks once the piece has been glazed. :)

I finished one of his wee little boots last night; OMG ITZ SO KYOOOOOT!! ^_^ Sorry for the crap quality pic, lol...

post-63665-0-11203400-1484331102_thumb.jpg

Archived