Work colleague:     "the trouble with you is you're a perfectionist"

Me:      "It's no trouble at all"

Work colleague:     "                    "        (Silence!  Yes, that shut her up, and had everyone else biting on their fists to stop laughing)

Mostly my family and friends get a sort of frozen look when they're trapped and I start telling them in great detail about the huge breakthrough I just had in learning to throw bowls, or about this certain glaze effect and why it works the way it does. They don't say much but if I stop talking they either change the subject or find something to do in the other room. 

My dad and my close friend are both potters and just as clay-mad as me so we have great conversations. 

But every single time I close the lid on a glaze firing I spend the next twenty four hours pondering how INSANE I am to take everything I've spent weeks or months working on and put into a box and heating it to 2200F and it may or may not look the way I want. Every single time during that twenty four hours I spend a lot of time pondering all the "easy" arts I've done in the past that could have decided to be passionate about like watercolors, photography, or sewing . I spent way less time on that stuff and then I didn't BURN IT WITH FIRE. (LOL I fire electric, that's just a joke). 

No I never thought of myself as crazy-maybe diving with sharks while feeding them was a bad Idea but not crazy-cage diving with great whites not crazy-working with clay very sane at least for me.

A friend said "know what half your problem is?' Your too intense.... I didn't ask what the other half of my problem was... I think I had just got up from dinner to check something out in a book, I hadn't been intense at all :huh:  just ignoring the conversation going on around the table.

I feel normal reading the posts on these forums so, no, can't say I am intense or crazy, just like to nut it out till I can stand the amount of my ignorance, for a while,  I do have ceramic brain worms which can lead to distracted intense looks......

And those cracks, which "let the light" in.. I focus on them a lot.

ANd there are those times when I know for sure that this is not the right approach and go ahead and do it anyway, is that crazy?

Hi my forum friends. Again please excuse my not being oline as often as I want to be. The last few month, especially the last few weeks were crazy in another meaning as "potter crazy". My mother-in-law gave her best to try to prevent my hubby and I to leave for Italy. Including simulating a stroke to perfection. Also the Doctors fell for it.... Her roommate gave her away after 5 weeks.

We are in Italy now since yesterday. Yay, there's a life also for hubby and me sometimes.

Thank you all for your answers in this QOTW. I am happy to not being the only crazy potter. Weather here in Italy is great. Sunshine, temps in the 90 F already at 9 o'clock in the morning. Guess what I will do coming weekend!...... Yessssss, a pit fire of course, and on the side a trash bin fire (for Obvara). I am so looking forward to it! If I would live in the vicinity of Pres, I would volunteer to kiln sit at nights!

Let us stay as crazy as hatters..... Love!

Evelyne

• 1 month later...

"But every single time I close the lid on a glaze firing I spend the next twenty four hours pondering how INSANE I am to take everything I've spent weeks or months working on and put into a box and heating it to 2200F and it may or may not look the way I want. Every single time during that twenty four hours I spend a lot of time pondering all the "easy" arts I've done in the past that could have decided to be passionate about like watercolors, photography, or sewing . I spent way less time on that stuff and then I didn't BURN IT WITH FIRE. (LOL I fire electric, that's just a joke). 

This pretty much says it all......

• 1 month later...

My classes are only scheduled twice a week, but I go in every day in between sessions, more than 4 hours a day. I work 8-5, go to the studio 5:15-10pm all week. I have dreams (or nightmares) all weekend of my work drying out, being put in the wrong kiln (greenware into a glaze kiln) or being destroyed. I think about which pieces I am upset with, or happy about. I think about things I want to try, tools I want... Obsession? Insanity? Passion?

Archived