Type S Thermocoupler

All Type-S thermocouples will use the same two alloys to generate a millivoltage signal.

This one appears to have a very fine wire in the 3rd picture. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts only a short time as a kiln probe. You get what you pay for.

Here is another source:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WRP-100-probe-head-S-type-Platinum-and-rhodium-thermocouple-temperature-sensor-for-experiment-purpose/32322678549.html

which does mention they are for experimental purposes.

Now THAT is interesting. A supposedly type S thermocouple for under 30 bucks. That's what a K type normally costs, vs. the normal $250+ each for an S type. The eBay seller is in China. Hmmm.

But now back to your original question... "Are all type s thermocouples compatible?" Yes, theoretically, all type S thermocouples are compatible with each other (assuming they are properly manufactured - see my caveat above regarding the location of the seller). As are all K types with each other, and R types, and N types, etc. etc. etc. However, S types are NOT interchangeable with K types. First, you'll need to also change the wire to S type wire. Next, you'll need to change your pyrometer. Some high end pyrometers can be changed by a switch or different setting in the firmware, but most low end pyrometers only accept input from the low end K type thermocouple. Most of the electronic kiln controllers can be switched from K to S by going deep into the manual configuration settings, but as just noted, you'll have to physically open the box and change all the wires too.

But all that said, if it is truly an S thermocouple for under $30, it would be worth investing in the replacement wire.

Just checking that you saw the small print:

• The buyer is responsible for any applicable import duties and local taxes. Usually there's not any charges for small parcel.

But please verify with your customs before making your purchase.

Guest JBaymore

Call me a skeptic but how on earth can they sell it for 27.45 when the spot price on platinum today is running around 1050 an oz?

Look at the wire gauge in picture #3.

best,

....................john

Guest JBaymore

Brick matters when ordering thermocouples: 2.5 / 3 / or 4.5 brick. They have different lengths.

Nerd

Or 9".... typical site built fuel kiln wall.

best,

.................john

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge all type S thermocouples are compatible with each other . As are all K types with each other, and R types, and N types. However, S types are NOT interchangeable with K types. First, you'll need to also change the wire to S type wire. Next, you'll need to change your pyrometer. Some high end pyrometers can be changed by a switch or different setting in the firmware, but most low end pyrometers only accept input from the low end K type thermocouple.

full turnkey assembly

Archived